IGNORED

STe 1024?

robbo007

Hi all,

Just wondering if the STe is worth getting over a normal STfm? I've read there are problems with software. Games crashing etc etc. I've also seen not much software makes use of the extra hardware features in the STe. I'm not sure if its worth the extra money? 

Any comments most welcome.

Thanks,

There is not much game which runs not on STE. And mostly problem is not STE self, but TOS version. And most of quality games are fixed for STE.

Example for TOS v. fix: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/T/tracker.php

Fixed for STE: http://atari.8bitchip.info/ASTGA/G/grandms.php

True, not much SW use STE extra HW, but there is more and more - some people still doing games for ST, STE.

On the other hand, RAM expansion is really simple, and is good to have 4 MB RAM. + believe or not, there is SW what works only on STE, and not on STs ?

I had both a 1040STe and a 520STfm.

I always preferred using the STe.   I don't remember a whole lot of software that didn't run.  I'm sure there was some,  but I wasn't running back to my non-STe model to run stuff.

The STe was very easy to max out to 4MB- just pop in new SIMMs.    The 520ST was fairly easy to get to 1MB by soldering some chips on, but to go beyond that needed additional hardware.

I also upgraded my STe to TOS 2.06 ROMS.   That was much more pleasant to use and had fewer bugs than the TOS 1.0 that was on my 520STfm.

The enhanced color/scrolling/sound/blitter features of the STe are much welcome.   True only a minority of games use them,  but blitter improves drawing speeds across the board, and makes the desktop and GEM applications run better (if you enable it)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments. Sorry about the delay. In the end I lost the bid on the STe but found a great deal on a ST 1040. Came with some software and also a modem. Its got TOS 1.02 (6 ROMS). Is it worth going to Rainbow TOS 1.04 on this? Also its got a Spanish keyboard (I'm in Spain) I gather if I got an English version of TOS it would map they keyboard layout to a US/UK keyboard? 

Where's the best place to buy the ROMs from? Are they just plug and play?

Cheers,

Yes if you have a Spanish keyboard you need a Spanish TOS otherwise the keyboard will be in English/USA.  TOS 1.4 is a nice upgrade with a snappier GEM and better support with FAT12 disks.  Some very old games might not work, but there are not many and those have been fixed to work on newer TOS. (Arkanoid is one)   If you get a 6 chip TOS set it would be plug and play.  See if you can find someone to burn you a set or check out Exxos web site to see if he sells them for older ST's.

Edited by tjlazer

I can send you 6 28 pin EPROMs with Spanish TOS 1.04 . And since now EPROMs 27C256 (32 KB, what is 1/6 of 192 KB TOS size) are not available, I send it in EPROMs 27C512 (what raises not price) . There is place for 2 TOS versions, and upper half is what will be active when just insert chips in sockets. To be able to use other half, with some different TOS version simple switch circuit is required, but it can be done later. On this page can see more about it: http://atari.8bitchip.info/tosimav.html

So, you can go on ES 1.04 in upper half (default) and for instance UK 1.04 in other, or whatever you want (TOS 2.06 needs more space and larger sockets, just to mention).

PM me if interested.