IGNORED

I got one! A heavy sixer!

Brad2600

It has to be a heavy sixer...Sears version

6 switches

The edges are rounded. It's heavier than a traditional woody.

The serial number is

3085ST

But it says manufactured by Atari Inc Sunnyvale CA on it

It doesn't currently work cuz my 2600 power supply must be shot. However, it's in great condition.

I also got some other great stuff that I'll list in a separate post.

All the games came from my friend Karen, who is moving to Michigan soon.

Well the one I have is quite heavy so it has to be one.

The edges are rounded on the bottom in the back...not like that on my 4 switch woody.

I dunno.

I've wanted a heavy sixer for a while..Atari or Sears...doesn't matter.

I'm cleaning it off now. Can't test it though...dead power supply.

Yep. That's what my Atari "Heavy Sixer" looks like. I picked mine up at a flea market four weeks ago for $25. I had a 4-switch system before that. The colors output by my "Heavy Sixer" are a lot more vibrant. They reach out of the screen and slap you. I love it. :)

This is what it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...6&category=3537

This is a Sears heavy-sixer:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=3536897269

Look at the console close-up for comparison.  Note the thick plastic edges.

My heavy sixer looks EXACTLY like that one!

The number on mine seems to be lower as well.

And my heavy sixer works as well.

I'll be taking a picture when I get some more film.

I can understand the skepticsm on your part though.

Cuz she knew that I was into video games.

And to repay her, I kept her copies of certain games. I have a whole bunch of commons and the weird thing is, I just sold off a bunch of commons on Friday! Talk about deja vu. Perhaps selling those games gave me good luck? After all, I did find a huge Atari computer lot earlier in the day. The XEGS still refuses to work properly.

OK, color me ignorant, but I never learned this part of the hobby: Why are heavy sixers so venerated? Are they worth more? Do they work better? Just curious. Let me know, because I just saw one the other day and maybe I should run back and get it, depending on what y'all say.

They were some of the original 2600s to come out of Sunnyvale before Atari started having them made overseas.

I only have a partial understanding of it though.

You best to ask someone like CPUWIZ or so who may know more.

All I know is that they're nice looking, have almost all the switches in front and they just look REALLY nice compared to standard 6 switchers or 4 switchers. They're worth 2 regular 2600s in my opinion.

OK, color me ignorant, but I never learned this part of the hobby: Why are heavy sixers so venerated? Are they worth more? Do they work better? Just curious. Let me know, because I just saw one the other day and maybe I should run back and get it, depending on what y'all say.

I have a non-heavy sixer and a 4-switch model and decided to replace the video cable on both models in an attempt to get a better video signal (I used a standard composite video cable even though they transmit RF).

The 4-switch model's placement of the video cable connector on the motherboard makes this a very tight fit (Atari's original cable is very thin and has a small connector head) whereas it was much easier to replace it on the 6-port model (I have a thick, shielded composite cable coming out of my 6-switcher and the video looks terrific). My 4-port is still without a newer video cable as I have yet to find a cable that has a small enough RCA connector and thin enough cable to replace the ancient Atari one.

This may not be true for all 4-switch models but I found my 6-switch's motherboard had a better video input port placement. I also use newer cables on my Atari 7800 and my Intellivision II (there is a video connector on the outside of those systems).

Okay. That's pushing the comparison a bit... :roll: Maybe it's the lower-case lettering on the console that seems more attractive. :)

Voch

It's my understanding that the heavy sixer has slightly different video circutry

they streamlined (cheapened) the circut for the mass produced 4 switcher,

bringing us the awe and wonder of the 2600 for less than $300 :ponder:

It also has (much) thicker rf shielding, in short it's just better

get one, you'll like it, if you like that kind of thing ;)

The 4-switch model's placement of the video cable connector on the motherboard makes this a very tight fit (Atari's original cable is very thin and has a small connector head) whereas it was much easier to replace it on the 6-port model (I have a thick, shielded composite cable coming out of my 6-switcher and the video looks terrific). My 4-port is still without a newer video cable as I have yet to find a cable that has a small enough RCA connector and thin enough cable to replace the ancient Atari one.

If you have a soldering iron, you could solder the av wire directly to the board on the other side. PM me if you need any help.

I just noticed something about my Sears sixer.

The display is a hue of Gray and not white like typical sixers.

You know where the switches are? The area around that is gray instead of white.

It could be discolored but if it's not, would this be anything special?

I wish I had a pic. I just barely noticed it cuz it's not white like I think it's supposed to be.