IGNORED

Spy vs Spy

tjlazer

So here is a strange one!  Been having a hard time trying to find a working copy of Spy vs Spy and none seem to work.  Even on Patari's site the one on there doesn't work right.  Locks up once it starts.  I spent some time trying to hunt down different versions and the only one that works is the Pasti version, and some of the others might start but they all seem to crash right after the game begins before you leave the first room.  (see screen shot)  Anyone have a working copy?

Spy vs Spy II and III seem to work perfectly from here btw:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/fromhd2.php?s=n#DL

Spy vs Spy crash.JPG

Spy Vs Spy - AOD.zip Spy vs Spy.zip Spy vs Spy - Ppera.zip Spy vs Spy (PAL).zip

On 1/1/2021 at 1:15 PM, tjlazer said:

EDIT.  I just tried with a UK TOS and the game seems to be working!  So it's must be a region/PAL issue after all.  So now we need a NTSC fixed version ;)

Ha, I wasn't even aware the ST had Spy vs Spy, I only ever played them on the 8bit. interesting it is borked on NTSC, I thought it was released by an American company.

Have you tried loading it after loading a 50hz switcher?

I tested diverse releases in Steem and real HW (Mega STE). The thing is that it just works not at 60 Hz refresh rate. When entering other room players disappear. Some timing problem of code. Tried with CPU at 16 MHz on Mega STE, and it helped not, + game was unplayable in single room too.

So, only solution is to set machine to 50 Hz before playing. Then it works with all TOS versions up to 2.06 US .