IGNORED

RMT2LZSS: convert RMT tunes to LZSS for fast playback!

rensoup

Oh god, I wanted to save time so I threw my entire RMT folder to the new converter release...
My computer is crawling at the speed of snail :D 

I wonder if I can find something different compared to the previous release.

Edited by VinsCool
typo

Wow ok, so I have no idea what happened but... literally ALL conversions failed with the new version

Was it because I dropped hundred of modules into it? Because It really looked like everything was fine until I just tried to run a .obx
Did not take me long to find out everything was broken.

I left all settings on default, then simply changed a line of text in the output tab, and then ran the conversion, which was slow, but worked.
Except it didn't actually convert anything to something functional. 
Then I just tried to reload the program, and only convert 1 song, which also failed ?

How weird...

7 hours ago, emkay said:

Found a bug ;)

If the loop is not jumping to Zero, the converter tries to create several tunes. 

But it doesn't recognize a loop back or jump forward. 

A loop back means the end of a tune, jump forward not.

In the case of a jump forward it also produces only several "lz16" files. But no obx file.

that should work in theory... got an example ?

7 hours ago, emkay said:

Merging works well, too. 

But is it needed to write "merged" 2 times to the screen?

turi_emkay_merged.xex 17.16 kB · 6 downloads

;)

You know you can change the text right ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Oh god, I wanted to save time so I threw my entire RMT folder to the new converter release...
My computer is crawling at the speed of snail :D 

I wonder if I can find something different compared to the previous release.

You're using Wine and complaining about speed ?  ?? The slow part is the compressor and the only thing that's changed is the check for that AUDC tweak flag but it wouldn't make it that much slower.

3 hours ago, VinsCool said:

Wow ok, so I have no idea what happened but... literally ALL conversions failed with the new version

Was it because I dropped hundred of modules into it? Because It really looked like everything was fine until I just tried to run a .obx
Did not take me long to find out everything was broken.

Seems to have worked fine for others though...

Did you unpack the new version of the A8 player as well ?

Did you move folders? perhaps they've got special chars ?

Can you send the verbose output of a single conversion? doubt it's going to say much but you never know...

I output a batch of 1000 tunes every time I make significant changes, so that's not the problem...

Edited by rensoup

Just now, rensoup said:

Did you unpack the new version of the A8 player as well ?

Did you move folders? perhaps they've got special chars ?

Ah maybe that is why, I simply extracted the exe in the RMT2LZSS folder without thinking about it.
Woops

1 hour ago, rensoup said:

yeah I should make that a little more robust!

Yep I fixed my mistakes, reran the conversion for all my modules and this time it works :D 
Sorry for being dumb, that was entirely my fault this time for not following simple instructions, hahaha

Edited by VinsCool
I can't English
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, emkay said:

Of course you hear deep frequencies only on big speakers ;)

It's not just the low frequencies in the kick drum. The snare drum misses a lot of fidelity, and the shaker and hats are sometimes completely gone(!)  I'll see if tonight I can create two WAV files and show it in Audacity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ivop said:

It's not just the low frequencies in the kick drum. The snare drum misses a lot of fidelity, and the shaker and hats are sometimes completely gone(!)  I'll see if tonight I can create two WAV files and show it in Audacity.

The faster updates make the drum/fx more distinguished from the rest of a tune. 

19 hours ago, ivop said:

I think this one does the job? ;) The nice thing about 2x speed is that you can more easily work around the 32-40 accumulated volume limit.

100Hz-drum-test.rmt 267 B · 8 downloads

Edit: here are the .obx files of your latest converter:

100Hz-drum-test.obx 4.27 kB · 8 downloads

and down to 50Hz

100Hz-drum-test-down-to-50Hz.obx 4.24 kB · 8 downloads

The shuffle and hat sounds are mostly missing. And the kick and snare drum sound nothing like the 100Hz version.

That 50Hz test sounds just awful - it's not even remotely close to the 100Hz version, let alone what 200Hz playback can sound like.

• Like 2

Top is the 100Hz RMT file.

Bottom is reduced to 50Hz.

100Hz-vs-100Hz-at-50Hz.thumb.jpg.63d4a9394bf0b1f198a9c4a27d9421c9.jpg

I see at least four instruments completely missing.

And if you cannot hear the difference in overall fidelity, that might indeed be your headphone or other equipment.

Edit:

Here's the shaker.

100Hz-vs-100Hz-at-50Hz-shaker.jpg.13dbda78cb85396bb7275c79719e2230.jpg

Notice how 1) the beginning/attack is omitted, and 2) the release envelope is gone at the end. That's why the ramp at the end starts higher at 50Hz, which does not sound good. At 50Hz, the shaker sounds like a hi-hat, and the hi-hat is silent.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, ivop said:

Top is the 100Hz RMT file.

Bottom is reduced to 50Hz.

100Hz-vs-100Hz-at-50Hz.thumb.jpg.63d4a9394bf0b1f198a9c4a27d9421c9.jpg

I see at least four instruments completely missing.

And if you cannot hear the difference in overall fidelity, that might indeed be your headphone or other equipment.

yeah I tried doing a wav test too, I plugged in my portable bluetooth speaker (megaboom or something) and I heard the difference, I wouldn't say it sounded great but that was just a test drum obviously...

Still it's annoying that it can't only be heard with typical headphones or on TV speakers.

Edited by rensoup

16 minutes ago, rensoup said:

yeah I tried doing a wav test too, I plugged in my portable bluetooth speaker (megaboom or something) and I heard the difference, I wouldn't say it sounded great but that was just a test drum obviously...

Still it's annoying that it can't only be heard with typical headphones or on TV speakers.

What makes me even more wonder is that in some tunes where I brought those details ( that seem to be missing at 50Hz programming) to the front, they always claim it sounding off.  

But when the used instruments were build on heavy distortions that kill every detail and make fast updates useless, they like it   (headscratch)

4 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I suppose the subwoofer is required to hear the difference though ?

Those are two different points

1. Is the really more powerful drums. (Good Speakers needed)

2. FX can get more accurate . This is what you hear with a tin can & string setup.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rensoup said:

I suppose the subwoofer is required to hear the difference though ?

I just did a test with my sub-woofer completely turned down, and I still hear the difference. Not as profound as before, though. The kick drum starts to sound almost the same, and the shakers, hats, and snare drums lose some of their fidelity. But they are still snappier IMHO. And the missing instruments of the 50Hz version, were still present in the 100Hz version ;)

And thanks. Now I have to find the sweet spot of my sub-woofer volume again ;)

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3