IGNORED

Problems partitioning sd card for Ultrasatan

mrdweeb

I am having trouble partitioning my sd card for use on Ultrasatan.

Machine: Mega 2

TOS: 1.02

Driver/partitioner: P. Petari, latest version

1 imaged 16 gb sd card with 15mbuvf.img

2 booted ST and opened PPPMBUF.pgm

3 Clicked on ACSI 0

4 changed information from 14mb to 512 mg (later to 256mg when 512 did not work) on 4 or 5 of the drives.

5 Clicked PARTIT and INIT all

6 clicked back to Drive 0

Shows no new information, only 14 mg on drive C as before

What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

Couple people sent me recently photos of SD cards which worked not with UltraSatan:

MicroSDcommonAndU1.thumb.jpg.195ed1b7cf281960060327cba6e4ceb8.jpgtarjeta_no_valida_UltraSatan.thumb.JPG.68439b759560c03ec419185333a9adbf.JPG

Sandisk at left works, one at right, with that 1 in U not. Shown Transcend works not too. I guess that they have some new characteristics, and that's the reason. As is known there are problems with diverse cards in USB readers too, so UltraSatan is not something especially picky.

I can say that what I have and tried everything works - about 10 years old 1 GB Kingston up to some 4 months old 64 GB Kingston Micro SD. Of course no sense to use so large capacity with old Ataris - there are TOS limits:

Max 14 partitions C-P (that's total number, so if you attach 2 cards sum of partition counts is it too (like 8+4) . If there is more, later partitions will be not mounted.

Max partition size is 512 MB for TOS 1.04 and later. 256 MB for TOS 1.00 and 1.02 .

And that's answer for why you was not able to set 512 MB size.

It seems that write to card works not at all.

If someone has problematic SD card with UltraSatan, would be good to post here about it, possibly with photo.

I use the 8 Bit Forum too, even there, with all the devices we now have to enhance the 8 Bit, the main issue

that seems to crop up very often is the choice of SD cards of all types, the main thing that was found is in general

SanDisk seems to work most of the time.

With the recent release of SIDE3 there were many people having issues with SD cards, but we were lucky @flashjazzcat who develops

the SIDE3 software made many changes to allow a wider range of SD cards to work, maybe whoever supports Ultrasatan could do the

same.

Another recommendation - upgrade your TOS to v1.04. You'll get multiple advantages,

including the larger partition size, faster speed, reliability, and lots of desktop improvements.

On that machine, should be very simple TOS chip swap out. Either 2 chips or 6...