IGNORED

Can't solder? External U1MB

candle

5 minutes ago, candle said:

i'm positive, that all your software, that doesn't follow official hardware specification will end its doings in guru meditation screen

this also includes the unofficial 6502 codes and ANTIC and GTIA usage methods not covered in the official hardware specification?

a bug we call something unintended, this was explicity coded, so it's a feature

what you did, was exploiting that feature and calling it names - that is pretty childish, and you'll be treated accordingly

now go away, i'm sure you have other "bugs" to find

not true, you yourself wrote that you implemented addresses above d303 because you found programs that used it ... and you found only those that use the first half ... it's a pity that you didn't find the other half ... or it's a pity you didn't implemented it as it should be, i.e. the entire PIA space.

----

you make such a gloomy mood ... cheer up:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/301555-gtia-music-collectively-various-artists/?do=findComment&comment=4731255

Edited by xxl

2 hours ago, candle said:

i'm positive, that all your software, that doesn't follow official hardware specification will end its doings in guru meditation screen

Candle:

As much as I appreciate your ingenuity and craftmanship, I must say that I profoundly disagree with your response, as well as your overall approach to this particular matter. There seems a clear, sustained pattern, here.

I, for one, appreciate XXL "madness"... there IS method to it, as well as constructive approach. He is focused on the ACTUAL, TRUE behavior of REAL hardware, and there is essentially nothing wrong attempting to preserve such behavior with ensuing expansions (like yours). XXL points are as legitimate as any other deeper HW-behavior already tried to be ported in current U1MB and Incognito implementations, for instance.

Ignoring the above is what has lead to the multiple (and PROFOUND) issues found with Incognito... Floating-bus data on $D013 (!!!), loss of dual floating-buses on Colleen mode, incompatibility with Bit3 card (when Incognito was originally designed to allow Slot-3 to remain active for expansions), not being able to program or use $C000-$CFFF as either RAM or ROM (just exactly as Newell RAMROD allows), XXL-found incompatibilities with memory-management (or PIA addressing) that Antonia handles with flying colors, for instance, and others that I can't recall.

You SHOULD NOT focus to rebutting legitimate work or findings by others. Instead, just focus on making YOUR products better (they are REALLY good, to begin with!). AND, if you can't really make them better, well, just state so, and explain why (that is perfectly VALID, at least for me). That will elevate you not just as a creator and forum contributor, but as a prime-vendor, as well. Think BIG.

My 0.02c, from a customer that has already spent several $100's on your sweet creations.

Peace.

F.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

this is direct response for xxl's comments on this matter in polish language - for me this was not an issue and i could do it otherwise, but since he wrote what he wrote, i'll design hardware anti-xxl protection that will actually display that guru meditation screen just to proove the point

this is now personal, and you are free to walk away

guru meditation it will be

I do have a request and don't want in the middle of the goings on...

can someone patch up synfile+ so that I can take an original copy and use it, in the form of a patcher program to run on a copy of the disk or better yet grab it from the preservation stream and make is so any of the shadow/direct calls in it will go places that don't offend any of the O.S. and u1m/incognito/side stuff.

An agnostic copy of synfile+ for all?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

I do have a request and don't want in the middle of the goings on...

can someone patch up synfile+ so that I can take an original copy and use it, in the form of a patcher program to run on a copy of the disk or better yet grab it from the preservation stream and make is so any of the shadow/direct calls in it will go places that don't offend any of the O.S. and u1m/incognito/side stuff.

An agnostic copy of synfile+ for all?

Worth answering...

Certainly more interesting than the classic boogers-wars... ;-)

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:

I, for one, appreciate XXL "madness"... there IS method to it, as well as constructive approach. He is focused on the ACTUAL, TRUE behavior of REAL hardware, and there is essentially nothing wrong attempting to preserve such behavior with ensuing expansions (like yours). XXL points are as legitimate as any other deeper HW-behavior already tried to be ported in current U1MB and Incognito implementations, for instance.

The manner of delivery counts for a lot. Various quirks of Incognito are one thing if politely (albeit laboriously) highlighted, but deliberately capitalising upon a property of U1MB which - AFAIK - results in problems with a single-digit quantity of legacy titles which are apparently of little to no concern at all to all but one individual is quite another.

Of course, in a civilised context, I advocate the timely addressing of known issues which cause actual problems. But on the other hand, it's a bit like 'cancel culture'. I doubt that fixing an issue about which 99 per cent of the noise is generated by a single voice would do much to endear the hardware to this particular individual. It has reached the stage that to capitulate now would give the impression that simply making a tremendous spectacle of yourself for months or years on end while simultaneously belittling the developer is a legitimate way to report issues. If what XXL is projecting is regarded as a 'contructive approach', the bar of human discourse has apparently reached the floor.

At this point, a sensible way to proceed might be to somehow address the issue as described while rendering the recently developed software which exploits it in order to prove a point completely inoperable.

40 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

My PAL 600XL has gold plated contacts.

I think they all do; I'm not sure about the quite uncommon unsocketed 600XL boards, however.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, candle said:

this is direct response for xxl's comments on this matter in polish language - for me this was not an issue and i could do it otherwise, but since he wrote what he wrote, i'll design hardware anti-xxl protection that will actually display that guru meditation screen just to proove the point

this is now personal, and you are free to walk away

guru meditation it will be

If you can detect xxl's "wrongness" and do something like a guru meditation screen, couldn't you just do the right thing instead? Just asking.

Edited by ivop
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

(...) I doubt that fixing an issue about which 99 per cent of the noise is generated by a single voice would do much to endear the hardware to this particular individual. (...)

But that has little (or nothing) to do with the legitimacy of the point (which is what really matters).

How do we know? Well, if something runs well in real HW, and then runs equally well on Antonia... and then crashes hopelessly on U1MB / Incognito... well, that deserves (at the very least) a solid explanation. I don't think no-one expects a "guaranteed solution", but at least a clear idea of why things are the way they are, so we can all move on, if there is nothing else we can do.

And that is the whole point.

Edited by Faicuai

Let's not talk about such things any longer,

I prefer to keep our spirits up!

Let us enjoy our work and let us enjoy our play!

I am glad for what has come our way.

Let's give some space, and enjoy all the good in life and cut off that which isn't.

It will be fine. Let's keep the thread about the exciting new thing that's coming and not worry about anything else.

9 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

But that has little (or nothing) to do with the legitimacy of the point (which is what really matters).

It has everything to do with it if you or anyone else would like to see the matter addressed. That is the whole point, whether you like it or not.

11 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

that deserves (at the very least) a solid explanation

The mechanics of it the issue in the generic sense have been explained elsewhere. As to why XXL's stuff crashes: it's because he made it so. Simple as that.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, candle said:

and where is fun in this?

try to do at least one thing correctly, whether it will be: nice Guru or correct PIA addressing - no matter - do it.

Just remember that snowflake will immediately change your internal software so make sure you do it right.

:D