IGNORED

Atari 7800 Vs. Nintendo Entertainment System

Nall3k

Just my two cents, but there are more good games for the 7800, and more bad games for the nes....

minorleagueguy

How exactly do you figure that? You're comparing the 7800's library of 60 titles to 700 on the NES. I'd wager that there's more of EVERYTHING on the NES by virtue of all those developers.

Just my two cents, but there are more good games for the 7800, and more bad games for the nes....

minorleagueguy

How exactly do you figure that? You're comparing the 7800's library of 60 titles to 700 on the NES. I'd wager that there's more of EVERYTHING on the NES by virtue of all those developers.

I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I thought he meant the good-to-bad ratio was better on the 7800 than on the NES. Probably true. Lots of crappy NES games out there. But lots of great one's also. When there are 700 games for a system there is bound to me losers.

Well, we can put aside the subjective aspect of what's good vs. what's bad and even if that's true, the sheer volume of NES games means that no matter what the 7800's ratio of good-to-bad is, it can't compete with such a collosal library.

Even if 1 in two games is "terrible" on the NES, the "not terrible" games would be almost six times the size of the 7800's entire library. :-)

As much as I love my Atari 7800, the NES tops it. There's just too many of my favorite games on that system: the Mega Man series, Super Mario Bros. 2 and 3, Contra, Jackal, Bionic Commando...I could go on and on. It's no wonder the NES is my favorite system of all time.

However, when I want some classic arcade action, it's the Atari 7800 or nuthin'. I still have a blast playing Ms. Pac-Man, Robotron: 2084, Rampage, Asteroids, and plenty of others on that system. :D

You could just permanenly attach a GG into the NES, but I found that many later games didn't work at all through it. But if you could make a sort of card that passes all the circuitry like you said, yes, you could fix it. I'm thinking of just hacking mine to use my dead GG's connector as soon as I can desolder it from the GG board and solder it to the NES board. I should just fabricate a new NES case. :roll: Where's that VCSp guy when you need him?

You could just permanenly attach a GG into the NES, but I found that many later games didn't work at all through it. But if you could make a sort of card that passes all the circuitry like you said, yes, you could fix it. I'm thinking of just hacking mine to use my dead GG's connector as soon as I can desolder it from the GG board and solder it to the NES board. I should just fabricate a new NES case. :roll: Where's that VCSp guy when you need him?

You mean something like this...?

http://classicgaming.com/nestable/construc...s/connected.jpg

Yeah. Some people just cut out the back and put the game in that way. I'd be frustrated with that so I'd end up moving all the parts around to get it right so the ports and buttons would be on the "front" with the game pak... uh, cart.

I think you get the best of both worlds by owning both: superb arcade home versions on 7800, superb platforming and role-playing games on NES.  Why choose one?  Choose both. :D

I'd much rather play the 7800 for it's precious few original titles. Ballblazer and Commando (though not originals) are worth owning the machine for. Midnight Mutants is a work of art.

When all is said and done, it's what YOU like that matters.

Nintendo got the brush off from Atari and took advantage of the situation, just a shame that Jack was at the helm, his idea of making everything cheap only did wonders for Nintendo's sales, afterall he was using Atari to try and get back at Commodore.

Bet the guy didn't give a rats ass about games...

The NES' only drqawback was the stupid idea to make it springloaded and not Top-loading like the Famicom. If it had been made right in the first place, we wouldn't be having so much trouble trying to play a rousing game of Mighty Bomb Jack. :lol:

Just remember, in exchange for the crappy ZIF connector and pads without integrated rapid-fire we got AV ports and SOCKETED CONTROLLERS.

It is physically impossible for me to overstate how much I appreciate that second enhancement. Especially since one of my 2 original NES pads had it's cord severed and the other one is physically worn out. The traces under the d-pad are actually worn off of the circuit board.

No big loss since I use joysticks almost exclusively on it anyways, but I killed my first Advantage stick too. Fortunately Toys R Us was clearing NES stuff out at the same time, so I got a second one cheap.

The NES' only drqawback was the stupid idea to make it springloaded and not Top-loading like the Famicom. If it had been made right in the first place, we wouldn't be having so much trouble trying to play a rousing game of Mighty Bomb Jack. :lol:

Just remember, in exchange for the crappy ZIF connector and pads without integrated rapid-fire we got AV ports and SOCKETED CONTROLLERS.

Yeah, 'tis a nice trade, but I still don't like having to work for my games. ;)

Yeah, 'tis a nice trade, but I still don't like having to work for my games. ;)

Well, my deck's been opened and the pins bent back out.

Actually bent out too far, as it's no longer ZIF(UPGRADE! :) ).

After cleaning the connector(both ends of 4 q-tips turned black, the curse of used hardware) it works like a charm.