ZillaRUSH

On 4/9/2024 at 5:37 AM, Psycho Stormtrooper- Rog said:

(Since this thread was unearthed)

1. TRON Deadly Discs

2. Sea Battle

3. MLB Baseball

4. Worm Womper

5. Thunder Castle

I am still holding out hope that one of these smarty pants game developers will make Sea Battle a one player game. 

Make it as hard as the third and fourth level on one player of All-Star Baseball.  

Edited by Crash7

Hmm... For original Intellivision games: 

Worm Whomper

Beamrider/Dreadnaught Factor

Demon Attack/Atlantis/Beauty & the Beast

Popeye/Frogger

Cloudy Mountain/Tarmin

Frog Bog/Space Armada/Deadly Discs

Auto Racing

Ladybug/Lock 'n' Chase/Mousetrap

Sorry, I'm terrible at making lists.  I kinda lumped a few together 😁

I haven't played enough Atari or Colecovision to make a decent list.

Shout out to the High Score Club for helping me appreciate a few that I never originally gave a fair shake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 1/23/2021 at 11:53 AM, ZillaRUSH said:

For the classics game systems (INTV, Atari 2600, Colecovision)..what are your top 5 go to games

You really need two separate lists here, (1) the games you play with someone else and (2) the games you play by yourself. I have negotiated to have both a 2600 and an Intellivision in the living room. I mostly break out access when we have visitors, the younger of which are fascinated by the ancient artifacts that still work.

Intellivision
    GO TO two-player games:
                1.  Major League Baseball (one of the very best video games of all time, IMHO.)
                2.  Triple Action (mostly Biplanes; occasionally Battle Tanks)
                3.  Basketball
                4.  Sea Battle
                5.  Armor Battle

GO TO one player games
                1.  Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (Cloudy Mountain, easily #1)
                2.  Space Battle
                3.  Space Armada (prefer to Atari 2600 Space Invaders)
                4.  BurgerTime
                5.  Treasure of Tarmin

NOTE: I don't include World Championship Baseball in this list because I don't ever break it out as a one-player game. Its one player mode doesn't interest me; it's useful only for newbie practice so they stand a chance when playing against a human opponent. I'll also put on Astrosmash for others because it's easy to play, but I don't like it myself because it's too mindless. If you're absolutely determined to play Astrosmash, play the M-Network Astroblast version. It's far better, especially with the paddle controller.

GO TO games for special situations
                1.  Horse Racing (Once a year, during Kentucky Derby party. Friends now expect it.)
                2.  Frog Bog (When young kids come over.)
                3.  Sharp Shot (When really young kids come over.)
                4.  Soccer (I have a friend who's a soccer buff.)
                5.  Golf (When watching golf on TV w/friends. Game sometimes gets more attention than the TV)

Atari 2600
    GO TO two player games:
                1.  Pong
                2.  Dragster (You can play it by yourself, but that's boring)

GO TO one player games
                1.  M-Network Lock 'n' Chase (prefer over Atari Pac-Man or Intellivision version)
                2.  Yar's Revenge
                3.  M-Network Dark Cavern (prefer over Intellivision Night Stalker)
                4.  Asteroids
                5.  Pitfall!

ColecoVision GO TO games
    I don't own a ColecoVision, so by my definition I can't have a GO TO list. Furthermore, the number of different cartridge I've ever played is too small to make a meaningful list.

It's interesting how the existence some games changes the order of the list. If NBA Basketball didn't exist, NASL Soccer would take its place as number 3 because I like the passing aspect of both games but I'll always pick Basketball over Soccer, which bumps Soccer off the list entirely. Because Triple Action exists for the Intellivision, I have little interest in playing the Atari Combat cartridge.

Edited by Rod
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 5:17 AM, Crash7 said:

poker and blackjack

On the one hand, I can't bring myself to place video game versions of board and card games a GO TO list. That is to say I wouldn't break out the machine to play those games, either with company or by myself. On the other hand, I have to admit that the Intellivision versions of Backgammon/Checkers/Poker & Blackjack/Reversi/Royal Dealer (but not Chess) draw me in every time I do stick in the cartridge, and I keep playing them for much longer than I care to admit. Strangely enough, I don't have a preference among them, they all have the same hypnotic power to hold me, just me against THE MACHINE.

Edited by Rod

On 5/8/2024 at 12:14 PM, Rod said:

On the one hand, I can't bring myself to place video game versions of board and card games a GO TO list. That is to say I wouldn't break out the machine to play those games, either with company or by myself. On the other hand, I have to admit that the Intellivision versions of Backgammon/Checkers/Poker & Blackjack/Reversi/Royal Dealer (but not Chess) draw me in every time I do stick in the cartridge, and I keep playing them for much longer than I care to admit. Strangely enough, I don't have a preference among them, they all have the same hypnotic power to hold me, just me against THE MACHINE.

What's funny is I play it, but a lot of times I play it if I want to get tired so I get some sleep. Because if I play it for a long time I tend to get eye weary looking at the monitor late at night. 

Has anyone ever had a royal flush? I've never even seen one as far as a screen cap. 

On 1/23/2021 at 7:50 PM, 1980gamer said:

Carnival.  What can I say, I keep shooting bears and no one gets hurt!  LOL   Best feature.... You can turn off the music.  I like the song, but not for an hour!

Six of one, half dozen of the other, you either deal with the music, or deal with those ducks quacking if you play the coin op LOL

Intellivision -

Astrosmash

Centipede

Demon Attack

Commando

Chip Shot: Super Pro Golf

Atari -

Defender 

Space Invaders

Star Ship

Night Driver

Breakout

Coleco -

HERO

Pitfall II

Defender

Galaxian

River Raid

The list is subject to fluctuation, of course, but at the moment these, game come to mind. 🙂

Updated INTV for me lately. 

1. Yars Revenge 

2. BurgerTime 

3. Super Cobra 

4. Centipede (very underrated game for the system) 

NES 

vs. Baseball (still my favorite baseball game ever) 

Popeye