IGNORED

TPDD on FTDI cable?

wierd_w

I have a TPDD (actually its predecessor, an FB100 from Brother. The only difference, aside from the unpopulated DIP switch vias, are the colors and branding) that I would like to test the functionality of.

It has recently been serviced with a new drive belt and some safe lubricant to the read head's worm gear and slide rail.  The intended use case is on a Brother knitting machine.  About the only thing the knitting machine seems capable of doing, is sending the format command to the drive, which 'appears' to complete.  Running the operation with the top cover off has the head park at the innermost track after activity ceases. Is this normal?

I have a 3.3v TTL to USB cable, but attempts to connect it (TX->RX, RX->TX, CTS->RTS, RTS->CTS, GND<->GND) have not been fruitful, even after setting port speed to the painfully slow hard-jumpered (the FB100 does not have a DIP switch populated where the TPDD does, and instead has a solder bridge, locking the drive in 9600baud mode. Since the drive is going to live on a knitting machine like it was intended for, I do not consider this a problem) setting.

I have since learned that this drive uses 5v logic.  I was wondering if a 5v FTDI cable would be suitable?

Edited by wierd_w