IGNORED

Getting my 2600 to work on HDMI TV

JJohnson

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get my Atari JR and the Sears Tele-Games 2600 to work on my TV and it's not working.  Both have the power converter, the 2600 retro converter that is new (less than 1 year old).  So I then tried with just an RCA to COAX converter and got the attached video signal from both.

My question is, do I need a new Atari 2600?  Or just a new TV converter, like this?  I just want to get a clear signal to the TV.

Thanks for your suggestions!

James

20210318_153414.jpg

20210318_153040.jpg

20210318_152754.jpg

Edited by JJohnson

If your TV has coax input I would start there and get a basic RF to Coax adapter, then try plugging in the consoles and see if you get a picture: https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-2-Pack-F-Type-Adapter-Commodore/dp/B06XSL31B3/

However, yes, that new TV converter will bring your picture and sound in through HDMI. You will need a VCR or some other method to convert the RF output of the Jr and Telegames to Composite (red, white, yellow), then input that into the converter, out to the TV (or Elgato HD60S or whatever if you are capturing or streaming). I use a different model of that exact same TV converter just fine to bring it into my PC, although it does tend to show some echo/ghost images in the video. 

Also important with a new TV that you usually have to connect the Atari, put in a game that you know is working and would produce a picture on startup, and then have your TV scan for the channels to include the cable/Ant plus digital. Doing this, the TV should then see and lock in to the Atari's video RF signal and produce a picture.

I've had to do this a few times over the years when moving my older RF consoles around and I want to use them on RF on a TV I've not used them with before.

The first step is to really just understand that the 2600 is outputting an analog RF signal.  Today we only have digital signals over the air.  Some TVs can pick up both an analog signal AND a digital signal, but many new TVs only have a digital tuner.  When you hook the 2600 to the coax input, you are sending an analog RF signal on Ch 3 or 4 (in the USA).  Your TV needs to be able to pick up the signal and then you should see a picture.  Definitely buy the adapter that Mockduck linked (or this one right here on AA Coaxial (F-Type) to Female RCA Adapter (atariage.com)) because you need it to adapt from the 2600 to the coax on your TV

If you don't have a valid RF/Coax input on the TV then you can go the VCR route.  There are also stand alone demodulators out there.  Like these:  Agile Demodulator | eBay.  The point of that is to get the VCR or demodulator to take the RF signal and change it to a composite signal.  Most TVs still support composite with no problem, or you can plug it into an HDMI upscaler/adapter.

• Like 1

If it's a 2600jr then it has an rca connector on the back. Get a good quality shielded rca cable (not too long) and plug it directly into an rca to F connector adapter that it sounds like you already have, and have that screwed into the back of your TV assuming it will accept an analog RF signal. That snow you see is probably RF interference most likely due to the cable you are using is my guess. Stick with 1 system, the 2600jr and get it working to your satisfaction before messing with any other systems. If your TV doesn't accept an analog RF signal then you need to use a VCR or demodulator in the path like others have suggested.

If it’s a Jr what I’d recommend is instead of getting the female coax connector to male rca and putting that on an rca cable, get a female coax connector to female rca and plug that into the back of the Jr. and use a normal tv coax cable.

I had issues getting quality rca cables that worked without interference and eventually settled on this solution for a few of my systems.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, qrysdonnell said:

If it’s a Jr what I’d recommend is instead of getting the female coax connector to male rca and putting that on an rca cable, get a female coax connector to female rca and plug that into the back of the Jr. and use a normal tv coax cable.

I had issues getting quality rca cables that worked without interference and eventually settled on this solution for a few of my systems.

Can you show me a picture of that?  Just to make sure I get what you're suggesting.

3 hours ago, JJohnson said:

Can you show me a picture of that?  Just to make sure I get what you're suggesting.

He means buy this:  RCA Male to F (Coax) Female Adapter - Gold Plated - Walmart.com - Walmart.com and put it on the end of a Coax cable.  The RCA goes in the Atari.  It is just another way to do the same thing, and Coax cables are typically shielded very well.

A nicely shielded RCA cable will accomplish the same thing example:  RCA RF Cable - 10 Feet (atariage.com)

THIS would be your best bet and the most affordable way to cut to the chase and be able to use your 2600 (or any other game system) on a modern HDTV, watch the video below and click the links in the description on the video to purchase one of your own, it works well with all 4 of my Atari systems I use, of course don't forget you're gonna need to get the RCA-to-PAL adapter also to make her work on her. Once you get it from Chinese to English there are an abundance of features onboard this device to make the picture just right, of course having a top-quality RF cable also matters here so don't use an ordinary stereo audio RCA cord, use an Atari or other video game RF cord instead, they are much better shielded than an audio cable is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

He means buy this:  RCA Male to F (Coax) Female Adapter - Gold Plated - Walmart.com - Walmart.com and put it on the end of a Coax cable.  The RCA goes in the Atari.  It is just another way to do the same thing, and Coax cables are typically shielded very well.

A nicely shielded RCA cable will accomplish the same thing example:  RCA RF Cable - 10 Feet (atariage.com)

Worth a shot. Especially if you have a short stubby coax cord from say a cable TV install of a set top box or cable modem.  Way better quality than the flimsy coax cables sold in stores. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, john_q_atari said:

Worth a shot. Especially if you have a short stubby coax cord from say a cable TV install of a set top box or cable modem.  Way better quality than the flimsy coax cables sold in stores. 

Yep. I had a ton of the 'other' connector which is the standard answer for that query here and I for the life of me couldn't get a cable with RCA ends that worked as well as a TV cable - even ones that had relatively thick shielding. I had some that worked alright with a direct connection to my TV, but they didn't work going through a switchbox. Using the TV cable with the adapter on the other end I get a clean signal. I do still have my 7800 connected via a cable that appears to be a cable salvaged from a 2600, that's the only RCA cable I've found that seems to be okay through my switchbox.

Here's pictures of my hookup from my Intellivision:

IMG_7156.thumb.jpg.f45dce47ef011f6123f6fe371a319eff.jpgIMG_7155.thumb.jpg.8f0c3297deb96951b1ca652f182ea234.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mockduck said:

This could be utter nonsense, but I have found that my 2600jr's output a weaker signal to a modern Coax-in television than other units, and are more prone to picking up the kind of fuzzy interference you describe. It could, however, totally be that old RF converter. 

You might want to give the RF-to-HDMI demodulator I highly recommend in the video down below a try. That and the RCA jack-to-PAL-plug also mentioned are all you need other than that. BTW, the video also serves as a tutorial on how to use it, once you switch the display from Chinese to English it's so much more simple once you do that, so watch the video and read the description on it to learn how to buy one as well as that much-needed plug adapter you'll need for it. I hope it'll work for you as well as it has for me and my 4 Atari systems. :) 

Edited by BIGHMW

3 hours ago, Prizrak said:

I have a composite modded system but often wonder if I should get another and just use RF. This as well as some other examples give me high hope for a good quality image.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have CRTs and have decided to just use the RF.  I have 2 CRTs that really do a VERY nice job with the RF, and I am satisfied with it.  YMMV of course, but IMO modding always seems to introduce something unwanted.  My attitude at this point is that unless I want to prepare a console to be used for an upscaler, I'm just going to leave it stock and plug it into my CRTs.

• Like 1

Speaking from a seasoned vantage point I clearly vote for matching display technologies. This means RF and CRTs for the early consoles. Completely agree with the unwanted artifacts & changes which usually accompany modding. I say this not from a purist standpoint, but from practical experience flavored with a little bit of "how it was meant to be".

It is at that time I wholeheartedly switch to (and recommend) software emulation. Here with SE we're synthesizing an image from the ground up. An image designed to work over DP & HDMI connections and look great on the newest technologies. Straight away.

Bonus time! Everything remains in the digital domain up to the instant the display paints a pixel. This allows for a bevy of unique adjustment options, up front so you don't need to play with the display's controls. You get to explore "vintage flavorings" like NTSC artifacting, bleeding, blurring, scanlines, fringing, phosphor types, and more!

IMHO it's the best way to experience VCS, or Intellivision, or Colecovision games on that new 110" QuantumDot display.

Edited by Keatah