IGNORED

Issue with UltraSatan + MegaSTe (stumped)

I have an UltraSatan with a formatted/partitioned SD card. I connected it to my Mega STe. During bootup, it shows 5 partitions. C is 14MB, the rest are all 248MB.

I get the desktop, with C drive showing. I highlight C, then install devices. It then shows the other partitions. 

But when I try to Save Desktop, it tells me that drive C does not have enough room for this operation. (Note: all partitions are currently empty...)

What am I missing?

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Interesting. Most likely the reason is low quality SD card. And what to expect from someone using illegally SW, not reading instructions, and actually using wrong version of driver. What is capacity of that card printed on it ? Asking because there are no cards with exactly 1 GB capacity. It is written only because Basic ACSI has max 1GB accessible, and this driver has capacity test what goes up to that size, if card is bigger, it will be not shown.

Then, first partition can be much bigger with this driver (512 MB).

For UltraSatan there is special driver,what has letters hs after version number, supports hot swap of cards, very large SD cards ...

You missing decent seller.

Ok, I overwrote the SD card with PP's 15MB.img. It showed a 14MB partition, and booted into the desktop with both PP13U.PRG and USAB101.TOS listed. I launched PP13U, selected ACSI 0, and started adding partition info. I then selected "PARTIT. and INIT all". It seemed to finish fine (the green pie chart now showed a nearly full pie....). I then launched USAB101.TOS, typed 0, then I, and got an error message "Not DOS part. disk". I tried rebooting, but now get 4 bombs...

I'm going to try with a different SD card and see what happens.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by gollumer

Update: Tried it with a different SD card (16GB SanDisk). Same issue. "Not DOS part, disk". I don't get the bombs anymore, but the SD card is unusable. I've re-flashed the 15MB.img several times, and each time end up with the same result.

UPDATE 2: This morning I tried with a different computer (a 520ST with TOS 1.02). It worked! Because it's TOS 1.02, I had to partition each drive as 255...but it worked. 

So, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the Mega STe. Any ideas what it might be? Could it be a bad DMA chip? 

Just so it's out there, is this an internal or external Ultrasatan?

Do you have another ST besides the Mega STe to try this on?

Is the US the only device on the ASCI chain?

Thanks.

PS Wow - literally your last post must have came in seconds

before this one...  :)

Edited by DarkLord
Updated....

6 hours ago, gollumer said:

UPDATE 2: This morning I tried with a different computer (a 520ST with TOS 1.02). It worked! Because it's TOS 1.02, I had to partition each drive as 255...but it worked. 

So, I'm thinking there's something wrong with the Mega STe. Any ideas what it might be? Could it be a bad DMA chip? 

Your thinking is most likely wrong. I would hope that your Mega STE is using a different TOS version than that which is displayed by the software in your screen shots....but then the guy who's software you are using pointed that out to you already.

17 hours ago, Cubeast said:

Your thinking is most likely wrong. I would hope that your Mega STE is using a different TOS version than that which is displayed by the software in your screen shots....but then the guy who's software you are using pointed that out to you already.

There is no TOS version displayed in the screenshots. The reason the partitions were kept small (initially) is that I have other, older, STs with lower TOS versions so I wanted one card to be compatible with all of them. But when it wasn't working (couldn't save the desktop), I re-partitioned it with larger drives. As I pointed out in my later post, I was able to successfully partition, initialize, and save desktop on my 520ST with an older TOS version. (The STe has TOS 2.06)

So, again, it seems the issue is with the STe. It won't write to the card, and doesn't partition or initialize properly. 

2 hours ago, gollumer said:

No, it's a Mega STe. (Same case as the TT030)

Oh, okay - thanks!

So about the other questions I posed:

(assuming the Mega STe has a working internal hard drive?)

Edited by DarkLord
Updated....

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Oh, okay - thanks!

So about the other questions I posed:

(assuming the Mega STe has a working internal hard drive?)

External. The internal drive isn't working. This is the only device connected. Works fine on the 520ST, but not the STe.