IGNORED

GRR!! Dreamcast broke..Help?

kevincal

So I bought a DC and some games off Ebay about a few months ago and today I put in Chu-Chu Rocket and it boots up fine and as I'm navigating the main screen the DC freezes up. I turn it off and on, and now the CD won't even boot up it just goes from the white bootup screen straight to the screen that comes up if I would have turned on the DC with no game in it. Well, I tried numerous games and it was the same with every one. So I decided to "experiment" with my DC LOL...I thought maybe I'll just give the laser a little nudge (I DIDN'T actually touch the laser eye) so anyways the little nudge sent the whole laser mechanism slide up all the way. I'm like..."Now I've done it" So anyway when I move the mechanism to certain points the DC does different things, but it won't boot up the game, but the CD does get spinning sometimes. Is there a chance I can fix it or should I just buy another DC off Ebay? Is there a fix-it site for probs with the DC? Thanks

I've had the issue with my DC before... sometimes it'll work and sometimes it'll be a pain in the arse! :)

However, smacking it a few times and turning it upside down or on the side worked (how odd?) but it did....

Not sure wtf it's all about but it's a good thing I have a backup DC, since ya know, they are all inexpensive and stuff :)

Clint Thompson

You might be better off going to a store like EB, Gamestop or Funco and buying a used DC from them. That way, if something goes wrong with it, you have a guarantee from the store you can fall back on. You get another off eBay and there's a problem, you're screwed again.

WOW I FIXED IT!!!!! It was a big chunk of lint trapped between two gears in the laser module. this caused the laser to not move and thus not read cd's. This is the first time I took a system apart and fixed it!! I'm SO JUICED HAHA!!! cool gonna play me some CRRRRRRRAZY Taxi now :D :D :D

Kiddie system?!

Are you kidding me...

Look at Super Magnetic Neo! Looks all kiddie and cute. But what a vicious game to play! Starts of way easy. Get damn tough by the Ancient World level...ugh..Still can't pass the second boss on that game. I guess I just suck.

Still funny to mention it being a kiddie system when a kiddie looking game owns me so badly!

:twisted:

WOW I FIXED IT!!!!!  It was a big chunk of lint trapped between two gears in the laser module.  this caused the laser to not move and thus not read cd's.  This is the first time I took a system apart and fixed it!! I'm SO JUICED HAHA!!! cool gonna play me some CRRRRRRRAZY Taxi now  :D  :D  :D

Hmm... Guess I should do a lint check on mine -- it's "sort of" busted... I did a little testing last weekend and found that Crazy Taxi works (yay!) but Crazy Taxi 2 does not (boo!). Other games didn't work last time I checked, so I'm not sure why it's being selective...

I was going to suggest that maybe the previous owner had played CD-R copies or "undummied" CD-R copies or whatever it is that fouls up the system. I always get shushed before anyone can explain that to me. :x :D

But I guess a wad of lint will have that same effect! I'm glad it's working. DC is pretty darn sweet. Let me suggest Hydro Thunder, loads of fun!

Hey ya I have the demo disc with hydro thunder on it but I haven't gotten around to playing it much. I've been playing the Sega Samsh Pack with Sonic and Streets of Rage 2 and Shinobi 2 good stuff. I just won a mint used copy of Soul Calibur for like 20 bucks including shipping and a Atari Anniversary edition for 15 so looking forward to those :D

Here's a trick that usually gets mine working:  when you turn on the system, instead of latching the cd lid, hold it shut to the point right before it latches.

Do you have to do it every time you start the system, or did doing that once fix it for good/a while?

Here's a trick that usually gets mine working:  when you turn on the system, instead of latching the cd lid, hold it shut to the point right before it latches.

Do you have to do it every time you start the system, or did doing that once fix it for good/a while?

If this doesn't work you can try to dip a q-tip in rubbing alchohol and lightly swirl it on the laser and then soak it up with the opposite end. I did this numerous times to my DC trying to get it to work when really that wasn't the problem at all. And it works fine now. There was a rather large chunk of lint trapping the gears that make the laser move up and down to read cd's. I had to open up the DC to get at it but it's really simple. Try the q-tip and alchohol thing first and if that doesn't work I'll give you more instructions on taking apart your DC and getting to the area I'm talking about.

I was going to suggest that maybe the previous owner had played CD-R copies or "undummied" CD-R copies or whatever it is that fouls up the system.  I always get shushed before anyone can explain that to me.   :x  :D
Probably because it's silly.

The most damage a CD can do to your system is ... zip.

Well, unless there's malicious code in there and some flash ROMs on the board or something. Then it can flash the flash ROMs. But that's a very remote possibility.

I will tell you that the problem with the CDR bit is that is simply causes more wear and tear on the laser drive unit. Because the DC will constantly search the whole CD looking for data when it is only on a small amount of space. this is why people dummy the CD or Pad them with extra info to fill the CD. Also, another huge problem I found in the DC is that the laser intensity is set quite low. Low enough in fact that after some use and vibration of the machine through normal use, the Laser Intensity will fall below spec and some CDs and their information will be hard to read and hence the DC will go into the Sand Man mode as I call it. You can fix this easily enough by taking the DC apart and adjusting the intensity pot on the back of the laser head unit. A very small mm turn clockwise should be more than sufficient. Course, I take no responsibility if you hose up your DC in the process of doing this. I will also state that if you do, do this. Then make sure you use some loktite or equal substance to keep the Potentiometer in place. If you don't it will walk and get outta alignment again. I think I finally used some glue from my Wife's Glue gun from her craft projects.

One last note to those who do use CDRs. You want the data to be nice and legeable to the DC. To ensure this, make sure you don't burn your CDs above 6x. At least on my system...anything over 6x will give me occasional problems.

Taboo information? Perhaps...but then gaming it what it is all about...

GAME ON!

8)

So it's the gaps in data on an undummied CD that cause the problem?

Kind of like a hard drive that badly needs a defrag, huh?

It still seems like any CD-R would cause this to some extent. At least more so than a GD-R. The two are still very different. But I know too little about this to doubt what you explained. I don't even own a CD burner....yet