IGNORED

Walls of Illusions, any place to get a copy?

Randy

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-walls-of-illusion_33080.html

Registered v. 

Instead Image Runner maybe Virtual Floppy in driver ..

Actually, I just checked, it can work from hard drive - just copy DIR WALLS with all it's content to root of one partition, and file WALL1_VV.PRG, W in it too - then can start with it, and will work . WP0 and WP1 seem as player save files, so no need to copy them.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan
+i
  • Like 1

Nice game.  Never heard of it before, but I love Dungeon Master so I'll give it a go.

Have a question for those who have played it.  I started with four players and I can't seem to rename them.  Is that normal or is it due to the copy I am using (the registered one from Darklord's post)?  I remember in Dungeon Master you can find and name your party members.

Attached is a picture of where the game starts me out after the title screen.  You can see the characters are already there and named.

Selection_328.png

Edited by TheNameOfTheGame

There are instructions at atarimania (link above), and same is included in ST image file DL-able there.  No word about character selection, renaming. It says that is installable on hard disk, but no details. I made ZIP with DIR named WALL, what included all files from floppy version - only that exec is depacked for faster start of game (and to see some file names there) - as said it needs to be copied/depacked in root of some partition on hard disk. Takes about 1100 KB space on disk.

WALLSIL.ZIP

• Like 3

Thanks for the quick-loading version.

Yes, I had read the instructions, but didn't see anything about the party.  I think the party members are fixed as well as their names.  I saw some different names on youtube, but I think that was because it was the German version.

This youtube video shows the party member all having the same portrait.

Selection_329.thumb.png.11346539d9d98a7a9591eb495f61424d.png

18 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-walls-of-illusion_33080.html

Registered v. 

Instead Image Runner maybe Virtual Floppy in driver ..

Actually, I just checked, it can work from hard drive - just copy DIR WALLS with all it's content to root of one partition, and file WALL1_VV.PRG, W in it too - then can start with it, and will work . WP0 and WP1 seem as player save files, so no need to copy them.

This downloads as a .ST file, I don't see WALL1_VV.PRG. Where is that file(s)?  Thanks!

When I drop down the hole beside the wall with writing on it on the first level, the buttons for the doors on the level I fall to don't work.  Is this normal?  I tried falling from another hole on the first level and the buttons work for wherever I fell in that case.

Weird that the German version Arcan has different colors.  Wonder why we got the ugly greens doors in WOI?

Arcan

Selection_331.png.5e510bec27f7942be2bbca62ff2ddefd.png

Walls of Illusion

Selection_330.png.cdced453289d047150377d8d284828e7.png

8 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

That file is in ST image, of course.

But better use WALLSIL.ZIP from my previous post for hard disk.

Thanks, Peter.  I did try that one also on my Mega STe, and it just locks up after a screen saying "TOS 2.5 Arcan something"  This is loading from a US hard drive with the files in the root of drive D.  Do I need to boot from drive D to make this work, or can I boot from drive C and run it.  I am thinking also of putting it on disk, but while I like disks, they are troublesome and unreliable, needing constant cleaning from dirty disks.  

Not sure if this is important, but just last night I could not load my save file from drive D for Frontier, I get two bombs.  I loaded and saved my commander files on drive A and that works, but I am wondering what is going on with drive D, I can certainly load the game file from that partition.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

When I drop down the hole beside the wall with writing on it on the first level, the buttons for the doors on the level I fall to don't work.  Is this normal?  I tried falling from another hole on the first level and the buttons work for wherever I fell in that case.

Weird that the German version Arcan has different colors.  Wonder why we got the ugly greens doors in WOI?

Arcan

Walls of Illusion

This is because your character Ratakesh has an active lighting spell in the first picture. ?

29 minutes ago, Atariforce said:

This is because your character Ratakesh has an active lighting spell in the first picture. ?

Is this true?  I look at the side panel and see that it too has that green cast to it, that should not be the case.  Also, the panel layout is slightly different...

19 minutes ago, Atariforce said:

Well you can download and test both versions from Motelsoft's website: http://www.motelsoft.de/

And see for yourself: they are exactly the same colour-wise.

Oh by the way: now I see the first pic is from Arcan, not WOI. Arcan is not the german version of WOI. It's just not the same game.

That makes sense.  I didn't know they were different games.  They look almost identical.

17 hours ago, Randy said:

Anyone have any luck running Peter's file?  Won't run on my Mega STe on floppy or SD card...

I don't think that it is matter of luck. You open that ZIP, and see one DIR named WALLS. As said, it must go in root of one of partitions.

I tested it on C, D and even H, which is GEMDOS logical drive in my Steem emulator. It works in all those cases.

If you copy/unpack not in root, will not work, because it is programmed so.

Now questions: your config, where you unpacked/copied it ?  With what SW ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I don't think that it is matter of luck. You open that ZIP, and see one DIR named WALLS. As said, it must go in root of one of partitions.

I tested it on C, D and even H, which is GEMDOS logical drive in my Steem emulator. It works in all those cases.

If you copy/unpack not in root, will not work, because it is programmed so.

Now questions: your config, where you unpacked/copied it ?  With what SW ?

Hi Peter, thanks for responding.  I downloaded onto my Surface computer and, with the SD card reader connected to the USB port, I unzipped the file in windows 10 and moved to the card on partition D.  Is this the correct way to do this?  And yes, I am running on original hardware.  Thanks.

Thanks.  First, I get a folder called "Walls", that opens to the files "WALLS (text doc), WALLSI.PRG, WP0.DAT, WP1.DAT, XSOUND.PRG" and finally a folder called "ART" with a bunch of files in it.  I copy the wallsi.prg, wp0.dat, wp1.dat and xsound to the root of drive D and the folder ART to the root as well as the text doc.  Hope this helps!

16 hours ago, Randy said:

Thanks.  First, I get a folder called "Walls", that opens to the files "WALLS (text doc), WALLSI.PRG, WP0.DAT, WP1.DAT, XSOUND.PRG" and finally a folder called "ART" with a bunch of files in it.  I copy the wallsi.prg, wp0.dat, wp1.dat and xsound to the root of drive D and the folder ART to the root as well as the text doc.  Hope this helps!

Jesus Christos ... When is told to unpack DIR WALLS to root of some partition you do that, and nothing more. It was done so, that people can place it with couple mouse clicks.  Nobody said that files inside that DIR need to go in root . How it would look if every SW should place lot of files in root ? Total mess.

So, again, last time: unpack DIR WALLS to root of some partition. That does not mean to move it's content from it - what idiot would put them in folder WALLS, when they should be placed out of it ? Unpack stays for extracting it from ZIP (RAR, or whatever archiver, packer).

I composed that ZIP in way so it will be easiest for people to place content in proper structure on disk - open ZIP with your file manager, archiver. Select DIR WALLS and use copy to dest. - then it will be unpacked there with it's complete content, structure intact. That's default setting by usual SW used for this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Jesus Christos ... When is told to unpack DIR WALLS to root of some partition you do that, and nothing more. It was done so, that people can place it with couple mouse clicks.  Nobody said that files inside that DIR need to go in root . How it would look if every SW should place lot of files in root ? Total mess.

So, again, last time: unpack DIR WALLS to root of some partition. That does not mean to move it's content from it - what idiot would put them in folder WALLS, when they should be placed out of it ? Unpack stays for extracting it from ZIP (RAR, or whatever archiver, packer).

I composed that ZIP in way so it will be easiest for people to place content in proper structure on disk - open ZIP with your file manager, archiver. Select DIR WALLS and use copy to dest. - then it will be unpacked there with it's complete content, structure intact. That's default setting by usual SW used for this.

Thanks Peter, just so I understand correctly, I take the zip file and unzip it on my Mega STe, correct?  Using an Atari ST unzipping tool, yes?

1 hour ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Yeah, that works. But it's faster and easier with Total Commander (Win) - and it has built in ZIP handling. Or Winzip.

Thanks, I unzipped right on the D drive of the mega ste using STZIP, worked like a charm!  Thanks so much, Peter!

On 4/22/2021 at 10:25 AM, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Arcan

Walls of Illusion

Hey name, get very far in this?  I dropped down and opened the door only to have a pair of ass-kicking priests or something unleash so WV kick-ass.  Thought it would start off a little more gently for a newb...