IGNORED

Atari Corp -- Did they publish any games for the ST?

So, while I've had 8-bit stuff around forever, I never really tried the ST series.  I did pick up at least one used ST years ago, but it wasn't until recently that I began tinkering with emulators and such...

I've been looking through lists of published titles, and something struck me as odd -- Atari Corp appears to have released no games for the Atari ST series.  I keep thinking that can't be right, as I was sure I remember hearing about some sort of attempt at making a Star Raiders sequel once, but the closest thing I've seen in any list is one of the European branches packing a bundle of (third party) games in with new ST systems.

Did Atari release any games for the ST computers?  I feel like I'm missing something here... but, then again, given who was (vaguely) running Atari at the time...

13 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

You should use search - there was thread about this couple months ago, here in this forum.

I might have used the wrong search terms -- which thread are you referring to?  I didn't see anything, and now I'm not finding much on Atari Corps's game publishing for the ST. Is there a particular recent thread going into Atari's software publishing practices with the ST?

EDIT: Heh -- I was using Atarimania to search, and it appears that "Atari (USA)" is where all the ST games by Atari are listed -- not by "Atari."  "Atari" only shows Atari Hit Pack and Arcade Classics.  I THOUGHT Atari had published some games for the ST series...

Edited by DavidD
UPDATE
  • Like 1

I meant this thread https://atariage.com/forums/topic/318393-was-the-power-pack-a-bad-idea/

It deals with those 'packs' - what is in some way publishing of games, isn't ?

Then, publishing doesn't mean developing a game. Even those published with name Atari on them were mostly developed by some 'hired' companies - like Andromeda in Eastern Eu. Earlier Atari hits like Battle Zone, Moon Patrol, Crystal Castles. And I don't care is it Atari, Atari UK or whatever. Atari was multinational company.

I just looked at atarimania, adv. search, publisher Atari (USA) - 13 games.

Isn't Atari (USA) part of Atari company ?

Btw. by your logic Atari made in Taiwan is not real Atari  ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

I meant this thread https://atariage.com/forums/topic/318393-was-the-power-pack-a-bad-idea/

It deals with those 'packs' - what is in some way publishing of games, isn't ?

Then, publishing doesn't mean developing a game. Even those published with name Atari on them were mostly developed by some 'hired' companies - like Andromeda in Eastern Eu. Earlier Atari hits like Battle Zone, Moon Patrol, Crystal Castles. And I don't care is it Atari, Atari UK or whatever. Atari was multinational company.

I just looked at atarimania, adv. search, publisher Atari (USA) - 13 games.

Isn't Atari (USA) part of Atari company ?

Btw. by your logic Atari made in Taiwan is not real Atari  ?

No, what I meant was that when I searched, I didn't realize the database split Atari up into multiple entries -- I missed the Atari (USA), which led to my confusion.  I though Atari had published game software on the ST, so I was puzzled.  It was just an oversight on my part.

As far as Taiwan goes -- I guess one could argue that there hasn't been a "real" Atari since the early 70s, but then we're at the slippery slope of "what is Atari."  Heh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a list from AtariMania that seemed to be fairly complete of the titles that Atari published for the ST line. This does not include children's or educational titles. There were quite a few of those as well.

Asteroids Deluxe    1987    Atari (UK)
Atari Arcade Classics (BattleZone, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, Super Breakout)    1992    Atari
Atari Grand Prix    1989    Atari (UK)
Backgammon    1988    Atari (UK)
BattleZone    1988    Atari (USA)
Borodino    1988    Atari (UK)
Breakout    1992    Atari (UK)
Bridge    1988    Atari (UK)
Bridge Master    1989    Atari (UK)
Bridge Tutor    1989    Atari (UK)
Crack'ed    1987    Atari (USA)
Crystal Castles    1986    Atari (USA)
Evolution Dino Dudes    1993    Atari (UK)
Final Legacy    1988    Atari (UK)
Go-Moku / Renju     1988    Atari (UK)
Joust    1986    Atari (USA)
Landmine    1992    Atari (UK)
Llamazap    1993    Atari (UK)
Millipede    1986    Atari (USA)
Missile Command    1986    Atari (USA)
Moon Patrol    1987    Atari (USA)
Moonbase    1988    Atari (UK)
Psion Chess    1986    Atari (USA)
Road Riot 4WD    1993    Atari (UK)
Robotron 2084    1987    Atari (USA)
Star Raiders    1986    Atari (USA)
Steel Talons    1994    Atari (UK)
Super Breakout    1987    Atari (UK)
Tempest    1989    Atari (UK)
Whitewater Madness    1989    Atari (USA)
XOR    1987    Atari (UK)

• 1 year later...