IGNORED

New Atari VCSP Vagabond

compacho

Yeah nice avatar, just the thing to make girl gamers feel welcome and comfortable here.

Ben Heckendorn and I were talking and comparing portables at CGE. That new model is pretty sweet, mine always had a size advantage over his, but not really anymore. BTW, he is a lot more down to earth and approachable than his website makes him seem. Now if only he'd post to his own message board :)

that is one beautiful portable. I hope he can somehow figure out how to make those in some small quantity that might make the price slightly more achievable. Though I feel that something that custom is worth whatever he wants to charge. I just want to be able to buy one some day :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmmm - Looking at that Avatar picture of the new portable....

I like the handicap size buttons - but the 2600 only need 1 fire button - this one seems to have 2

Also - The screen is a bit to thin to actually see a game (I presume the black line is the screen)

:lust:

The Vagabond is great. The thing is that I don't think it's for sale (he puts that on the news section of his site)

I like the handicap size buttons - but the 2600 only need 1 fire button - this one seems to have 2

That's because one button is for the paddle, and the other is for the joystick (they each use different pins on the stella/riot chip)

Sure it may not be for sale now. However, if he could ever find a way to mass produce units for cheap, why wouldn't he want to do it?

I know it is mostly a hobby to Ben but if he had the serious cash and a willingness to fulfill every Atari collector's wet dream with a mass produced portable 2600, why not? I'd definitely buy one if he ever sold it. I have so many 2600 games I want to play on a portable unit.

Dunno about that avatar. I mean, for all we know, that's actually him. :woozy:

;)

I really like the Vagabond. The only things I'd change (if I could actually build something like that in the first place) is to put the joypad on the right side (I never played 2600 games using a left-handed joystick), and I'd add a small, stubby joystick handle to it. Sort of like a Playstation Dual Shock stick, but with four switches instead of analog potentiometers. I have an old Gravis gamepad with a little joystick handle on it, and it gives much, much better control than a pad does.

Thoughts to improve the VCSp series...

Switchable paddle/stick control. There are a few(2? 3?) games that don't work right with both connected, and it would be better to have one fire button instead of 2.

Difficulty switches! Why haven't they been implemented yed?

Color/B&W switch. What? I like Secret Quest, and it's a required control to play it.

Left AND right contol inputs would be nice, for multi-player paddle games or just using the VCSp as a standard VCS. Would pr'ly require another switch.

Long-term, making a VCS clone using modern chip manufacturing techniques should offer power savings, a smaller and more configurable board, as well as sparing more existing VCSes from the hacksaw.

What are you people on?  The Vagabond is perfect.  The only problem is getting hold of one...

Nothing is perfect. Ever.

And as the Vagabond CANNOT play Secret Quest, or a multiplayer Warlords session, it is sub-optimal IMNSHO.

And as the Vagabond CANNOT play Secret Quest, or a multiplayer Warlords session, it is sub-optimal IMNSHO.

Actually I think it can play a multiplayer Warlords session. :)

If it's built the same as his VCSp Gold, it has 2 joystick ports, it allows two units to be plugged together for most multiplayer games, but also can be used with standard controllers. So you can plug a couple sets of paddle controllers in for 4 player Warlords no prob. Sadly the VCSp Rev6 doesn't do this yet as it has no player 1/link port. :(

Actually I think it can play a multiplayer Warlords session. :)

If it's built the same as his VCSp Gold, it has 2 joystick ports, it allows two units to be plugged together for most multiplayer games, but also can be used with standard controllers. So you can plug a couple sets of paddle controllers in for 4 player Warlords no prob. Sadly the VCSp Rev6 doesn't do this yet as it has no player 1/link port. :(

I was under the imperssion that there was no external left controller port, and the "left" link port was JUST a link port.

I'm pleasantly suprised to find I was mistaken.

The Vagabond is great.  The thing is that I don't think it's for sale (he puts that on the news section of his site)

That's because one button is for the paddle, and the other is for the joystick (they each use different pins on the stella/riot chip)

I never went to a website - My descption is based upon the Avatar image ;)