IGNORED

Space Instigators PAL

Spector

I remember when it was being developed, there was talk of a PAL version being made soon after the NTSC one, but this doesn't appear to have happened. :( Was it just forgotten about? I'd love to play it on my machine to see how close it is to the original arcade machine.

There's no PAL version of Space Instigators yet. I remember a lengthy conversation on Stella list about PAL conversions. Did we ever reach a consensus on what was sufficient?

Most NTSC to PAL conversions simply modify the colours and leave the scanlines at 262 and 60hz. My understanding is that most PAL tvs don't have a problem with this (?? Does the result look letterboxed or squished or does it look right?)

I was hoping to eventually do a "real" PAL conversion, but I don't know if that will ever happen (fixing the timing to run properly at 50hz is a big problem). However, if just changing the colours is "good enough" that's a really quick fix that I could have done right away.

Chris...

Hi Christopher!

I was hoping to eventually do a "real" PAL conversion, but I don't know if that will ever happen (fixing the timing to run properly at 50hz is a big problem). However, if just changing the colours is "good enough" that's a really quick fix that I could have done right away.

That'd be a PAL60 version. I'd prefer if you'd additionally add 25 lines each to the Overscan and VBLANK. The timing is not that important. We're used to this kind of conversion :)

Greetings,

Manuel

That'd be a PAL60 version. I'd prefer if you'd additionally add 25 lines each to the Overscan and VBLANK. The timing is not that important. We're used to this kind of conversion :)

That's what Activision did, I'd prefer PAL60.

But then I am not a potential customer... ;)

Hi there!

That's what Activision did, I'd prefer PAL60.

But then I am not a potential customer... ;)

Well, my TV can display 60Hz games, but the picture gets a little curved then. So in pure selfishness, I'd like to have a real PAL version with 50 padding lines added - and I'm a 100% customer :D

Well, I'm sure the shop could handle three versions (NTSC/PAL/PAL60) so Christopher can just do both PAL types, letting the customers pick their poison :wink:

BTW: From what I'm hearing, the PAL versions are only ~10% of the sales, so no one will get rich with this, but I think it really is a very nice gesture for us few European/Australian customers. (And it's less then 2 hours of work with the source code available)

Greetings,

Manuel

Well, I'm sure the shop could handle three versions (NTSC/PAL/PAL60) so Christopher can just do both PAL types, letting the customers pick their poison :wink:

Yes, the store can handle that without any problems, although it may confuse some people that two different PAL versions are available. Does everyone in PAL-land understand the difference between PAL50 and PAL609?

BTW: From what I'm hearing, the PAL versions are only ~10% of the sales, so no one will get rich with this, but I think it really is a very nice gesture for us few European/Australian customers. (And it's less then 2 hours of work with the source code available)

Yeah, that's about right, less than 10% in some cases.

..Al