IGNORED

will someone out there sell me an atari 7800 power cord?

dukenkm43

You`ll find it very difficult to get the right shape adaptor at Radio Shack.

Best bet is to get an adaptor on eBay or, if you have a soldering iron, a quick solder job and a standard Radio Shack socket will let you connect an Atari 2600-style PSU to it, as they both use 9V DC. Make sure you get the polarity right, though, and use a PSU with at least 1A power to be safe as that's what the 7800's PSU is rated at.

Alternatively, get a mate to do it for you, or ask someone to! I'd do it for you, but I think shipping would be a little too much...

I have heard of some who found a Cell phone power connector that was similar enough to be used. But it wasn't keyed so you had to make sure that when you plugged it in you had the polarity correct! I don't know which cell phone adapter it was. and they didn't use the whole adapter. What they did was cut the end off and then splice that one a compatible 9-10volt adapter with a 1amp rating to it.

Search the forums a bit to find this. I can tell you that while sending out your 7800 to get retrofitted with a power modification will cost the same in shipping and time...it is better overall because you will end up with something much more universal to replace it with later.

When I do the power modification, I don't replace the original power adapter. I actually add a pigtail that sticks out from the original opening so that if you want...you can use either. That way the modification can be removed entirely fairly easi if you want. I haven't power retrofitted my 84 model yet...but will if I ever loose the power supply...you can bank on that!

8)

• 1 month later...

I went through the same problem years ago and back then the cheapest 7800 power supply I could find was $75 and that was from a so-called collector. The simplest way if you want to be removable is get one of the same 9 VDC 1 amp as the original power supply and a part an inline socket along with a short piece of speaker line from Radio Shack and solder one end of the line in to the circuit board and connect up the socket it's cheap and it works. I recommend also insulation the contacts in the socket with tape or newspaper you don't want a short circuit