IGNORED

Incognito JED experimental upgrade

candle

4 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

Since my Incognito CPLD does not support plugins, I would like to update it and I wondered if I should take the latest jed file from Candle (October 2021)

or the one which @flashjazzcat shares on his Incognito page (August 2021):

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/IncognitoV2-JED.zip

How old is you Inocognito board?

The latest FJC January 2023 is the one I'd go for but unsure if a really really old Incognito board might have a bearing.

26 minutes ago, TheMontezuma said:

Do we talk about the same? I mean CPLD (*.jed file) to be programmed with an external programmer.

Yup, the latest JED which is here on FJC website and went up in January 2023 AFAIK: https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/IncognitoV2-JED.zip

image.thumb.png.7ff93fe68bbbb4c3440076215c3d4691.png

I am just not sure if ok to flash on the really early incognito boards that came out 10+ years ago. It's probably fine but i am not 100% sure.

FYI I used the Xilinx programmer and Windows software on a Windows 10 laptop since it doesn't run on Windows 11. (Appearently you can get it to work but it's quite tricky).

Then after flashing the Jed you can also flash the January 2023 FJC firmware for Incognito:https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Incognito-Firmware-4.2-240123.zip

image.thumb.png.62aea3221d1cc89fe735a585ab98a66e.png

I think he's referring to the revision date of the JED file in the archive on my website, which is earlier than the other one he mentions. Unhelpfully, there are a few floating around on the forum, but the two newest revisions on my NAS are from August 2021.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

I think he's referring to the revision date of the JED file in the archive on my website, which is earlier than the other one he mentions. Unhelpfully, there are a few floating around on the forum, but the two newest revisions on my NAS are from August 2021.

Exactly.

The *.jed files have embedded time stamps.

The file posted by Candle is dated to 4.10.2021:

and your file: https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/IncognitoV2-JED.zip is from 26.08.2021.

I just wondered if there is a reason not to program the newer file.

2023-05-08 18_40_14-main.jed _--_ IncognitoV2.jed - Text Compare - Beyond Compare.png

I wish I could say for sure, but version control with JED files seems a bit vague. I happened to send Jurgen a JED file dated 270821 which he applied to an ostensibly brand new Incognito board (which one would expect to carry the v2 JED) and it apparently made a blighted machine suddently work perfectly well.

In any case, I just ran a comparison between the v2 JED on my website and the one I sent Jurgen (named 'Incognito_270821.jed'), and the files are identical. The one Candle posted adds support for MOSAIC RAM, however, and since this is supported in my firmware, I should upload that one instead.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

I'm getting the hankering for messing about with hardware again but before I go disassembling my one Incognito 800, someone please remind me: the CPLD has to be pulled from the Incognito and flashed externally, correct? I need to see if I have my programmer software updated and if it supports the CPLD in the Incognito. 

Edited by DrVenkman
typo

8 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I'm getting the hankering for messing about with hardware again but before I go disassembling my one Incognito 900, someone please remind me: the CPLD has to be pulled from the Incognito and flashed externally, correct? I need to see if I have my programmer software updated and if it supports the CPLD in the Incognito. 

Hiya. Jed is flashed in situ whilst machine is on and incognito is powered up using a Xilinx programmer and impact software. 

See FJC's vid here about 10mins in:

7 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Beats desoldering the chip and then discovering you shouldn't have, though. ;)

Maybe so but at $43 for the programmer on Amazon plus the fun of making another one-off cable, and downloading another one-use utility that probably won't run on Win11 ... I just went through this exercise to update the CPLD on my 7800 Dragonfly flash cart, but at least that can be programmed with a $9 USB Blaster and no need for a custom cable. 

16 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Maybe so but at $43 for the programmer on Amazon plus the fun of making another one-off cable, and downloading another one-use utility that probably won't run on Win11 ... I just went through this exercise to update the CPLD on my 7800 Dragonfly flash cart, but at least that can be programmed with a $9 USB Blaster and no need for a custom cable. 

All I can suggest is asking yourself if you need the update for any specific purpose.

Thanks to @tf_hh, BTW, for putting me onto the Xilinx VM image which makes the use of the Impact programming software a doddle regardless of the Windows version in use.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, flashjazzcat said:

All I can suggest is asking yourself if you need the update for any specific purpose.

And honestly, I probably don't. I like to screw around with "just because" projects from time to time and thought this would be an another straightforward exercise but it appears not. I've already got SO MANY one-off programmers, adapters, cables and widgets for so many projects around here, it's getting harder to justify yet another one, especially as expensive as now-obsolescent Xilinx programmers apparently are.  

6 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

The Xilinx makes a nice paperweight whilst not in use!!😊 Plus also a good cat toy if you happen to have a feline companion who insists on hanging around batting anything with wires whislt you try to solder!! 😁

Cats have a strict no-entry to my workshop room policy, too many things can go wrong for me and for them. A bit lighter policy with the kids, but still limited access.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

Hiya. Jed is flashed in situ whilst machine is on and incognito is powered up using a Xilinx programmer and impact software. 

See FJC's vid here about 10mins in:

Thanks for link to the video.

Below the video I found a link to your blog about programming CPLD:

I hoped that that the JTAG header on the Incognito board has the same layout as the JTAG connector on my programmer.

That's why I actually ordered an adapter board to be able to program Incognito CPLD without preparing a custom cable. How naive...

JTAG_ADAPTER.png.96249c6e80477ede6cfa721b734250bf.png

Forget the adapter board...

I have an old LPT Programmer for programming XILINX (tested with The!Cart and Megaspeedy).

The Programmer has the following connector:

XILINX.thumb.jpg.49b19784f0d5f0c108956f4ea4058ef2.jpg

VCC, GND, TDO, TDI, TMC, TCK lines are available.

Now I need information about the Incognito JTAG header:

INCOGNITO.thumb.png.ed523aa359082f0f147f16417114497a.png

Is this correct layout for Incognito JTAG header?

1 - VCC

2 - GND

3 - TCK

4 - TDO

5 - TDI

6 - TMS

(found here: https://forums.atariage.com/topic/206610-ultimate-1mb-upgrade/?do=findComment&comment=2660597 )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

Just out of interest what Jed did you flash, this none:

Incognito JED version 2 (031021)

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Incognito_v2_JED_031021.zip

Also what firmware have you got running? 

I tried both CPLD versions (v2 and version 2 031021) with the sane results.

I have the latest firmware 4.2.

In the meantime I checked another CF card and it seems to work well, so I will probably stay with "Incognito JED version 2 (031021)".