IGNORED

Activision Anthology for GBA Announced

Albert

Just wanted to make a couple of quick comments based on some of the recent posts. First of all' date=' the video and screenshots that IGN posted were quite old for some reason...not sure how they got footage of a version that old. As Albert said, the games are running very fast...most are at full speed, and the ones that aren't at full speed, are 90% of that and you won't notice the difference unless you play them side-by-side with a real 2600 (or you're a hardcore fan (such as the people on this site.)) Like I've said before, getting the 2600 to run at full speed on a 16MHz processor is no small task...nobody has ever done it before.

-cnn[/quote']

Even so, i think you'll get grief from many people here if you don't make mention of which of the games are at that 90-100% speed level ^^; Don't mean to be picky but it's probably good for the case if there's someone that has that one uber-alles game that he really wanted the whole collection for , and it's running at a speed he'll knock the package for, then it's probably good to get a warning ahead of time ^^

gavv

anyway... i'll get a copy if i can... as i am a big "museum" fan... and the idea putting the cart into my GC GBA player rocks... pitfall "heaven" will rock the place...

any ideas if it will be shipped to europe? as i havent found anything about the title here... :)

and i agree... keep the negativity until some people have the final cart...

hve

I hope you'll forgive us for the cynicism, Assassin. We've been burned by classic game collections before, including several of Activision's. I do wish you luck, however... this project is more ambitious than any other Game Boy Advance collection, and you deserve credit for that.

I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about the limited two player features... if I can have faithful versions of Megamania, Beamrider, and Pressure Cooker on the go, I'll be more than satisfied.

JR

and the idea putting the cart into my GC GBA player rocks...

Wouldn't it be easier (and better) to just play the PS2 version? The PS2 version has more processor power, double the resolution, and is virtually flawless in emulation. Why waste time with an inferior Cube GBA Player version?

No homebrews on the PS2 version.

Well,  I will buy it for sure, but for anyone who wants to play on TV, the simple thing is to play through pc+tv out+pc2atari joystick convertor, I am also playing with my cordless logitech gamepad...

Actually... wouldn't the simplest thing to do to play these games on a TV, be to just plug in a 2600? ;)

I'm getting it purely for the portability of it. I like the idea of having 55 games in one handy package. I'm a little disappointed by the two-player mode using only one screen, but I don't play two-player games all that much anyway, so I doubt it'll bother me.

I'd be interested in knowing which games don't run at 100% speed, but 90% is probably close enough. It's certainly going to be better than some of the classic game re-creations that have shown up on the GBA (*cough* Midway collection *cough*).

I'd be interested in knowing which games don't run at 100% speed, but 90% is probably close enough.

90% would be quite good, even Activision's PAL conversions where running slower (~18%) than the NTSC versions.

The only problem would be changing speeds. A lot of games require accurate timing and when a game switches between ~90% and 100% it might become unplayable.

And speed changes would definitely hurt the feeling when playing 2600 games, since they usually (unlike many modern games) run at constant speed.

So, are there speed changes? Or are those games that can't be emulated at 100% speed constantly limited to a lower (or minimum) speed :?:

there are games like pitfall, grand prix and ski that have real time clock

counter running... so running them with 90% will have an indication that

time is running in different speed inside/outside the game ...

why not to run the slow games in 30 FPS and skip one frame ?

30 FPS it's enough for animation, it's better to run full speed with 30 FP

S than to run 60 FPS with 90%

Israel Geron T.

why not to run the slow games in 30 FPS and skip one frame ?

30 FPS it's enough for animation, it's better to run full speed with 30 FPS than to run 60 FPS with 90%

I agree that frameskipping would look better, but that's not very easy for 2600 games.

E.g. the collision detection might not work correctly anymore.

what about running the emulation in 60 FPS but render only in 30 FPS this way the collision detection will work and we will have some performance benfit from less redndering ?

About 90% of the emulation is screen rendering. And for correct hardware collision detection you have to render the screen anyway. So you would only save the scaling and copying to the GBA screen.

I am sure Brad was thinking a lot about a solution. Maybe the 100% speed already contains some clever frame skipping.

can anyone provide any information how good will be the Kaboom!/Paddle

support using the GBA gamepad ? or in another words is it playable and

not only for the firsts slow rounds ...

I wrote a few years ago a Kaboom! clone named Bombman! I used the mouse as the controller, it wasn't a bad idea but I think nothing compares of playing with real paddles in termes of sensetivity and of course in terms

of fun...

I hope that the Kaboom version for the GBA will not disappoints me.

Israel Geron T.

I hope that the Kaboom version for the GBA will not disappoints me.

I think it's going to be tricky to make it work well. Super Breakout on the GBA Atari collection is terrible.

Super Breakout on the Battle Zone/Super Breakout combo cart (one of the "Arcade Classics" series) is pretty good. Avoid the GBC version, however.

I'm willing to bet that one of those titles running at 90% is probably Pitfall II.  Due to the music emulation and all.

I don't think music emulation is such a big problem. The "weird" 2600 video display emulation is using much more CPU time.

Todays emulators are running slower the more objects are on the screen. E.g. Starpath Frogger is one game that is emulated quite slowly.