IGNORED

Slight Ms. Pac-Man label variation not listed here...

Hulsie

Well, looky here! I was perusing the different label variations for some of the games I have, and here's what is listed for Ms. Pac-Man:

Label #1:

© 1982 ATARI, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2675

Label #2:

© 1987, ATARI, CORP. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 2675

Label #3:

Silver 1982 label without Atari logo; possibly a pirate cart.

Label #4:

© 1988, ATARI, CORP. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED CX2675

Well, MY Ms. Pac-man cartridge proudly boasts:

© 1987, ATARI, CORP. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED CX2675

A-HA!! A 1987 label with a CX in front of the model number!! Is this a label variation that's harder to come by, or is it simply not listed in the database? I know it probably just didn't get listed, because c'mon, it's Ms. Pac-Man and there are probably endless tiny variations like this one...But I just thought I'd ask, just in case. :)

Plus, you people are a lot nicer than the a**holes in the Atari 2600 newsgroups and won't yell at me for asking stupid questions like this one. :D

Your variation appears in the Giant List of Label Variations located in the archives here.

Giant List of Label Variations[/url]]

Ms. Pac-Man                CX2675      

Silver1 (c)1982, C1, "Gus Allen" hits bottom of picture

Silver1 (c)1982, C1, "Gus Allen" does not touch bottom of picture 

Silver1 (c)1985, C1, plastic end label

Silver1 (c)1987, C3, "2675"

Silver1 (c)1987, C3, "CX2675"

Silver1 (c)1988, C3, M: no "printed in xxx" notice

Silver1 (c)1988, C3, M: "printed in Hong Kong"

Al's back me up on this....

Generally speaking, the Atariage Database only notes MAJOR and significant label variations. There are NUMEROUS minor variations that generally do not amount to much or affect rarity in anyway. Those are usually intentionally left out to keep the database tidy and make it more accessible to the casual observer.

:)

:spidey:

You're right Stan, and that's the reason to turn to the Giant List of Label Variations. I have yet to see any weird label that is not already in there...

BTW, no offense to the Al's, but I think there are some shortcomings in the rarity ratings here, even though it IS the best resource we have. I think the Al's would admit that, actually, as, for instance, the rarity guide does not differentiate rarities of most text vs. picture labels on Atari's titles. I think it would be nearly impossible to come up with a truly accurate rarity rating system though, since no one has reliable data to base one on! (So basically, I guess I am complaining that the rarity guide isn't perfect, and simultaneously acknowledging that there's no way it COULD be...)

Also BTW, Stan, in case I haven't already said so, welcome back...

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, that list is freakin' *HUGE* !!

Thanks for the link! Even besides the game rarity, I'm always interested in seeing how many different variations game labels and boxes have...Is anybody here an obses--er, I mean, a dedicated enough collector to try and get every possible variation ever made? That would be quite the challenge...