IGNORED

XF551 SIO fixer PCB

manterola

I have created this PCB after being tired of soldering little wires to several XF551s. 

I sent it to fabrication and I'm still waiting to arrive, so I'm not sure how well it will fit. I'm also no really convinced about the 4 thru-hole auxiliary connections I made, I think they should be pads only without holes... The idea of those connections is to be optional and only used when needed (when not only the connection between the sio ports is broken, but also the connection to the rest of PCB is broken too).

922021164124.thumb.jpg.3629cea48ee3a9d04c56fcf453cc30f4.jpg

Let's see.. I am open to your comments and ideas... 

When the PCBs arrive I want to solder one on top of the original XF551 pcb. These pcb I order are thinner than the standard ones

Edited by manterola
  • Like 3

Interesting... Is the idea that this would be installed / layered under the original PCB? (So pins would effectively be reaching through both PCB's?)

Could you enlighten me as to the logic of why some traces appear thicker than others?

Yes, @Nezgar. The idea is to solder this under the XF551 pcb. It should be enough space.

Basically under the pcb there is already a bunch of wires already (like probably many other XF551 owners have) so I will remove them all and put something a bit more decent than that. 

The reasoning behind the wider traces is that those traces carry the ground and 5V so they would need more copper because those traces are "used" by more electrons.. i.e. more current if you have more devices down the daisy chain. For example I have a XC11 which is SIO powered. 

• 1 month later...

This is version 1.1, still not perfect, the two large perforations were a bit off, but it work and the thru-holes are correctly located, providing better strength and connectivity to the SIO ports. 

If someone is interested I have a few ones to give away. 

1082021212917.jpg

Edited by manterola
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...

That's interesting, how did you, or what did you use to extend the SIO port leads through your new board?  Are the only connections from your new board to the exiting board through those SIO pins?  How are J3, J4, and J5 connected, the same way as the SIO port pins?

Unfortunately, I went ahead and ordered the DropCheck board, but before reading the BoM and realizing that some of the parts I need stopped being sold years ago - I didn't actually find the BoM until after I ordered it - DropCheck did warn though that there were a couple of things that you should get soon before they're gone, but there was no date on the comment that I saw, so wasn't sure how old that was.

The rivets are originals and untouched. The board was fabricated a bit thinner than the regular PCBs. Then I cleaned a bit the solder mess after removing the wires, and finally, I removed a bit of solder and straightened the pins for J3, J4 and J5 connections. Then I just positioned the new PCB board on top (actually under) the old one and soldered the 13x2=26 SIO pins plus the J3 to J5 which are basically DIn, DOut and Cmd.

The SIO pins and the other pins are long enough to get soldered to the new board.

Regarding DropCheck board I don't remember having problems getting the parts from the original old board and mouser. Now, things might have changed since I did the work like 3 years ago.

Edited by manterola

Interesting... these are the rivets on mine, and I think the holes are almost big enough for an M2 screw to go through them... and they're factory original, as I'm the sole owner of mine... still have the box it came in, and I remember the day UPS delivered it.. after something like 6 weeks of waiting back in the day, not like 2-4 day Amazon deliveries today.

image.thumb.jpeg.710cd015df941cc9bd8db2753700db94.jpeg

And I'll have to check Mouser for what I can get these days, and try to salvage the rest.

And great work on your PCB, that looks great!  It looks like a better option than replacing the entire board.

Edited by CrystalKnight

On 11/8/2021 at 9:29 PM, manterola said:

This is version 1.1, still not perfect, the two large perforations were a bit off, but it work and the thru-holes are correctly located, providing better strength and connectivity to the SIO ports. 

If someone is interested I have a few ones to give away. 

1082021212917.jpg

Granted, this was 10 months ago, but do you have any of these left?

6 minutes ago, CrystalKnight said:

Yes, that would be great... having never done that,

Be sure to order a thinner PCB. I guess 0.6mm would suffice. Thicker would not allow you to solder the connectors properly if I remember correctly.

6 minutes ago, CrystalKnight said:

which of the 3 fabricators would you recommend?

If you really want to use one of these three, I'd let Manterola answer that.

Otherwise, if you are not in a hurry, I recommend allpcb. Takes about 5-10 days to get to The Netherlands. YMMV.

On 9/5/2022 at 2:45 AM, CrystalKnight said:

Yes, that would be great... having never done that, which of the 3 fabricators would you recommend?

I've been using PCBWay for about 12 months now and love the quality of their boards and also their service. I can't fault them to be honest.

I have used Oshpark, but lately I have been sending to JLC since it is so cheap.

I guess any should work fine. It is a very simple PCB. The only thing out of the ordinary is that I asked to be 0.8mm the first time and then 1.0mm thick for the second version (v1.1 the one in the picture) since I thought it will give better physical characteristics, and the pins were long enough.

So here I am attaching the gerbers for anyone use.

Regards,

xfsiofixgerbers.zip

Great, thanks!

So last night I decided to go ahead and work on the resolder, and after a test, the drive is now recognized - progress!  But when I attempt a format test (using a floppy I know works), it gets part way through the format and claims it can’t do high speed, then drops to standard and then fails part way through. 

I’ve tested that I don’t have shorts at the SIO ports. Does anyone have thoughts on what might be wrong next? And I’m considering it a win that at least progress has been made! Doesn’t hurt to ask, right?

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, hueyjones70 said:

Are these boards available thru OSHPARK or any other place? I have two or three of the old boards that I would like to try and resurrect. I am going to install a 3.5 floppy drive in a 1050 case.

@manterola attached the gerbers a couple of posts back, with these you should be able to order boards from any PCB house.