IGNORED

Atari VCS Flashback Fridays

marss

I learned a lot finally playing Dark Chambers this weekend. For some reason this is one of the (few) fairly common games I don't yet have for my actual 2600, and never played Dandy back in the day. Grew up playing a TON of Gauntlet though so this was a really nice surprised. Loving the game a lot.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I put some time in with Dark Chambers last night. I’m guessing there isn’t a way to save your progress in the emulator? I think I made it to level H, but I figure I’ll have to start over. 

Pretty fun game. This wasn’t available at my local stores when I had a 7800 in the 80s. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Allpaul said:

I put some time in with Dark Chambers last night. I’m guessing there isn’t a way to save your progress in the emulator? I think I made it to level H, but I figure I’ll have to start over. 

Pretty fun game. This wasn’t available at my local stores when I had a 7800 in the 80s. 

Sadly not, at the moment, but it's on my wish-list, and I hope Atari add it in an update. 
Atari 7800 games didn't support saving from inside the game, because the save-cart was never manufactured.

As to getting through A-Z, I played the game with a friend, and we got through all levels better that way, 
as like the VCS Recharged games, it's then possible to give a life to the other player, so have more lives,
where single-player dying is dying.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great BLACK FRIDAY deals from Atari here!

1. CELEBRATE "FLASHBACK" BLACK FRIDAY Fire up your Atari VCS starting Friday to access our first Big Game Sale!
    All Atari Games in the VCS Store will be 33% off! 4 Days only! Friday, November 26 through Monday, November 29.
    Sale includes:
    All 7800 Titles: Desert Falcon 7800, Ninja Golf 7800, Scrapyard Dog 7800, Motor Psycho 7800, Dark Chambers 7800, and Planet Smashers 7800.
    All Atari Recharged titles: Centipede: Recharged, Black Widow: Recharged and Missile Command: Recharged
    Atari VCS Vault: Vol. 2: 14 vintage Atari arcade games, 16 Atari 5200 titles, 12 Atari 2600 M Network games, and 8 prototype/homebrew Atari 2600 games.
    Use code
    WALNUTFRIDAY for $20 Off any Atari VCS Black Walnut All-In system.
    Use code
    ONYXFRIDAY for $10 Off any Atari VCS Onyx Base system. 

image.thumb.png.9d28af6b0c2f02970ae3fc5a3b85e7a0.png
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, justclaws said:

Some great BLACK FRIDAY deals from Atari here!

1. CELEBRATE "FLASHBACK" BLACK FRIDAY Fire up your Atari VCS starting Friday to access our first Big Game Sale!
    All Atari Games in the VCS Store will be 33% off! 4 Days only! Friday, November 26 through Monday, November 29.
    Sale includes:
    All 7800 Titles: Desert Falcon 7800, Ninja Golf 7800, Scrapyard Dog 7800, Motor Psycho 7800, Dark Chambers 7800, and Planet Smashers 7800.
    All Atari Recharged titles: Centipede: Recharged, Black Widow: Recharged and Missile Command: Recharged
    Atari VCS Vault: Vol. 2: 14 vintage Atari arcade games, 16 Atari 5200 titles, 12 Atari 2600 M Network games, and 8 prototype/homebrew Atari 2600 games.
    Use code
    WALNUTFRIDAY for $20 Off any Atari VCS Black Walnut All-In system.
    Use code
    ONYXFRIDAY for $10 Off any Atari VCS Onyx Base system. 

image.thumb.png.9d28af6b0c2f02970ae3fc5a3b85e7a0.png

Did they give away the game for the next release by showing the box art for Super Huey?

Just now, Atarick said:

Did they give away the game for the next release by showing the box art for Super Huey?

I noticed that too when I saw the email. I think the Super Huey game copyright is owned by Ziggurat so that would be the first third-party title for Flashback Friday. Ziggurat is selling those games on Steam and GOG.

14 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I noticed that too when I saw the email. I think the Super Huey game copyright is owned by Ziggurat so that would be the first third-party title for Flashback Friday. Ziggurat is selling those games on Steam and GOG.

The Wade Rosen connection between Ziggurat and Atari is certainly promising.
There is a very attractive remake of Super Huey, from a few years ago, but to-date it's Windows only. (To-date...)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like they are running out of Atari IP for the 7800:

By my count we're down to Meltdown, Sentinel and Realsports Baseball.

I wonder if we'll start seeing DOS games soon or maybe some of the licensed titles?!  It would be great to see the Namco, Williams (now Warner) and Nintendo licensed titles come to the VCS.

• Like 1

If they do include Atari 8-bit games, we could possibly the following down the line:

Basketball (1979) 

Caverns of Mars

Centipede - this one is visually distinct enough from the other versions, so I suppose it can be included.

Computer Chess - different enough from the 2600 version to be included

Crystal Castles - Also distinct enough to be included as well (I'd rather play this one over the 2600 version)

Eastern Front

Hangman

Star Raiders II

The copyright info in each of the listed games only mentions Atari, so I assume no licensing is required. I'm not sure how involved the keyboard is for some of the listed games. 

I do know that Desert Falcon, Food Fight, and Dark Chambers are also on Atari 8-bit, but they don't look or play differently enough to be included again. Same goes for Asteroids, Final Legacy, and several others that are in the VCS Vault 2.  

• Like 2

Here's the relevant bit from the email/press release announcement about games "releasing in January", which included several games that had already released (the Recharged series, Sydney Hunter, three 7800 titles):

Every Friday, Atari VCS users can look forward to a fresh batch of Atari 7800 and other retro releases, including the following upcoming titles:

• Solo Flight
  • Ancient Art of War in the Skies
  • MicroProse Command Series
  • 4th and Inches
  • Fast Break
  • MicroProse Soccer
  • …More to be announced!
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

Here's the relevant bit from the email/press release announcement about games "releasing in January", which included several games that had already released (the Recharged series, Sydney Hunter, three 7800 titles):

Every Friday, Atari VCS users can look forward to a fresh batch of Atari 7800 and other retro releases, including the following upcoming titles:

• Solo Flight
  • Ancient Art of War in the Skies
  • MicroProse Command Series
  • 4th and Inches
  • Fast Break
  • MicroProse Soccer
  • …More to be announced!

It's cool to see Ziggurat Games on the VCS.

They've got some interesting titles.

Edited by Gunther

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 11:03 AM, Gunther said:

Ziggurat also have lots of Data East games they could release on the VCS.

I would love to see those "Retro Classix" titles on VCS. Especially Gate of Doom, Wizard Fire, and Super BurgerTime. 

There are several DOS games they have that also look very interesting. Shadoworlds, NAM, and Planet's Edge, to name a few. If they could get those to work entirely with the modern controller, I'd like to see those arrive on the VCS store.

• Like 1

Fast Break (1989, Accolade) for MS-DOS is this week's Flashback Friday game. Now in the store for $6.99.

They're getting to the end of announced titles. Just Solo Flight and two more Command Series games are left based on the list they released: Decision in the Desert and Conflict in Vietnam. Of course they paused war titles due to the conflict in Ukraine.

header (1).jpg

Screenshot_20220127-131232_Firefox.jpg.8cee4fb7924799d92a4ea8a25ca4db06.jpg