IGNORED

Atari VCS Flashback Fridays

marss

5 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

What's with all these repackaged ROMs from the Atari Vault being resold individually?

It just seems so bizarre and pointless to me.

Right there with you. Though apparently some people like to own them individually and not have to launch Antstream or Atari Vault if it's part of those packs. To each their own, I suppose, but I'm in the "this is pointless" camp!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sixersfan105 said:

Right there with you. Though apparently some people like to own them individually and not have to launch Antstream or Atari Vault if it's part of those packs. To each their own, I suppose, but I'm in the "this is pointless" camp!

I agree. It feels like a really lazy way to continue releasing games for Flashback Friday to at least keep some content trickling out to the VCS. If they are going to release games we already have, it would be nice for them to at least have some kind of bonus material to make it unique. An interview with someone involved with the project? Scans of promotional material from when the games were released?

They certainly haven't exhausted the games from their DOS catalog so I am not sure why they wouldn't continue with those. At least those are titles we don't already have.

Ideally, they would add an 8-bit home computer emulator and start to dip into those titles since they have not released those yet. And if they have a full emulator they could even do some community events like a programming contest. I'd consider brushing up on my BASIC programming skills ?.

• Like 1

I think they are just being economical on sticking to the Friday release promise they made.  I fully expect to see a new Cartridge coming from Atari XP for every one of these 2600 Roms they are releasing independently since there is a free VCS version of the game included with each cartridge.  Killing 2 birds with one stone.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

7800 games for 3 bucks, is low enough for me to own, the exclusives outside of sports games  and spot on old arcade were some of weirdest games ever developed in the 8 bit games, dark chambers has got a ton of play by me and my kids for 3 bucks, I also don't have to explain. The box is a guy in adventure to my wife

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, MScottson said:

Do you guys think that flashback Fridays will start to come back eventually or is that done?  I like the idea of more back catalogue even if Atari Anniversary is going to be a thing.

I would like to see it come back. There are still some games that they can provide that utilizes DOSbox and the 2600 emulator. 

I can think of the following below:

Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice (DOS)

Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet (DOS)

Solo Flight (DOS)

Conflict in Vietnam (DOS)

Decision in the Desert (DOS)

Lunar Lander (2600 game first available in the FB2/2+)

Asteroids Deluxe (2600 game first available in the FB2/2+)

Arcade Pong (2600 game first available in the FB2/2+)

Dark Chambers (2600 game not in the Vaults)

Solaris (2600 game not in the Vaults)

Atari Climber (2600 game first available in the FB2)

Edited by bugcatcher88
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, bugcatcher88 said:

I would like to see it come back. There are still some games that they can provide that utilizes DOSbox and the 2600 emulator. 

I can think of the following below:

Call of Cthulhu: Prisoner of Ice (DOS)

Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet (DOS)

Solo Flight (DOS)

Conflict in Vietnam (DOS)

Decision in the Desert (DOS)

Lunar Lander (2600 game first available in the FB2/2+)

Asteroids Deluxe (2600 game first available in the FB2/2+)

Arcade Pong (2600 game first available in the FB2/2+)

Dark Chambers (2600 game not in the Vaults)

Solaris (2600 game not in the Vaults)

Atari Climber (2600 game first available in the FB2)

I like the idea of FB Fridays, but personally not a fan of the DOS releases.   I think that Atari would gain more traction by offering Arcade, LYNX, other Atari published releases outside of the 2600.    Fingers crossed that it comes back one way or another.   

• Like 2

On 4/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, sixersfan105 said:

@stirrell expanding their DOS offerings + adding an A8 emulator is a great idea and should definitely happen!!!

Great idea, I'd love to see more Dos games as well. VGA Sharks (1990) etc. If they made some compatible with the Modern Controller (like Dogfight on the VCS currently). Hopefully Flashback Friday comes back to the VCS. Pong Quest is apparently coming to the VCS too ie. Atari's deleted Twitter post ?

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...
14 hours ago, justclaws said:

Atari aquired the rights to several old arcade games, including Berzerk, so to celebrate...
Atari 2600 version of Berzerk is now in the VCS Store, for $2.99. 

Here is the list of Stern Electronics games that belonged to them alone and can therefore be part of the deal. :

Berzerk (1980)

Moon War (1981)

Armored Car (1981)

Frenzy (1982)

Tazz-Mania (1982)

Rescue (1982)

Mazer Blazer (1982)

Lost Tomb (1982)

Minefield (1983)

Cliff Hanger (1983)

Great Guns (1984)

Goal to Go (1984)

The other games were co-developed, or owned by Konami or Sega

As there are 12 games in the deal, we have to be very close to the exact list.

7 hours ago, RadiATIon said:

Here is the list of Stern Electronics games that belonged to them alone and can therefore be part of the deal. :

Berzerk (1980)

Moon War (1981)

Armored Car (1981)

Frenzy (1982)

Tazz-Mania (1982)

Rescue (1982)

Mazer Blazer (1982)

Lost Tomb (1982)

Minefield (1983)

Cliff Hanger (1983)

Great Guns (1984)

Goal to Go (1984)

The other games were co-developed, or owned by Konami or Sega

As there are 12 games in the deal, we have to be very close to the exact list.

No Goal to Go or Cliff Hanger.  The video used in Cliff Hanger was not owned by Stern.  I have no idea why Goal to Go was not in there.  Dark Planet and Atomic Castle were the other two.