IGNORED

So I ordered another 7800 off of ebay...

leech

Received it last night, got all excited and tried to hook it up to my Commodore 1084S-D1, as it had the Composite and S-Video mod.  Unfortunately I could only get sound to work and no video!  So I ended up connecting it to my Samsung Syncmaster 910MP (the universal TV that has VGA, SCART, S-Video, Composite, RF).  and it worked fine with S-Video, but it's an LCD, and I only have one of those things, I was hoping I could get composite, as most of my TVs have that.  Sure it's less clean, but much cleaner than my unmodified 7800s, as the RF modulator on those are very loose and sketchy.

Now it has a 3.5mm jack for the Composite output... if I only partially plug it in, composite video also works, but then of course it's very loose and just falls out if I don't hold it there.

So I guess I'm going to have to open this up and see if one of the solder points got loose during shipping.  But hey, at least the case is all in one piece, rather than like the first 7800 I bought which was cracked to hell and back!!  I do tend to like to have an original, unmodded system, and a modded system.  I'll just take a moment to say what everyone else says though, the UAV is freaking awesome!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

I always use a stereo 3.5mm jack for composite and mono audio. A mono plug might cause the composite to be shorted, which is why it works partially all the way in. Take some pics to show what is wired where inside.

I am using the cable supplied, which is a stereo composite cable to 3.5mm. 

20211028_101253.jpg

20211028_102002.jpg

Edited by leech

32 minutes ago, marauder666 said:

So the audio is also connected to the 3.5mm socket, kinda had to see.

Does the supplied cable have RCA plugs on the other end?  If so, have you tried swapping them on the TV input?

If its the wrong way, it'll just get video in the audio input and cause buzzing with no video.

Yeah, which is about what I get.  So the yellow cable gives a clean audio signal.  The white... I think was giving off a buzz and sometimes a flickering mess.  The red I don't think did anything.  I'll have to check again when I have a moment.

The cable is 3.5mm on one end, and the Red/White/Yellow male RCA on the other.

For the 1084S, I think I'm going to order a female S-Video to Two male RCA for the Luma / Chroma.

Edited by leech

2 hours ago, marauder666 said:

So the audio is also connected to the 3.5mm socket, kinda had to see.

Does the supplied cable have RCA plugs on the other end?  If so, have you tried swapping them on the TV input?

If its the wrong way, it'll just get video in the audio input and cause buzzing with no video.

It certainly looks that way. Could be a bad cable if the wiring is all ok. If it's a home made one just pop the plugs apart and make sure nothings come free or is shorting against anything else. Easy to continuity check with a multimeter if you have one.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:26 PM, juansolo said:

It certainly looks that way. Could be a bad cable if the wiring is all ok. If it's a home made one just pop the plugs apart and make sure nothings come free or is shorting against anything else. Easy to continuity check with a multimeter if you have one.

Definitely not home made.  Pretty sure I have another cable I could test with.  But my guess is there's a short / connection somewhere that shouldn't be, as it actually is requiring two cables plugged in to get video...

There are four connections on the 3.5mm jack; of those only three wires are connected, and they go to CV (composite video out), Maria Color In, and the last one is connected to a 10uf35v capacitor that is connected to two resistors.

Looking at the install instructions, I see nothing like that there...

4 connections should be

Composite from uav

ground from uav, or anywhere

Cap connected to third pin with link to the last one.  Its audio.

Without the console being powered up or the composite cable connected to the tv you need to use a multimeter to work out which pins on the connector go to which rca jacks.

Edited by marauder666

1 minute ago, marauder666 said:

4 connections should be

Composite from uav

ground from uav, or anywhere

Cap connected to third pin with link to the last one.  Its audio.

After some continuity tests, I see where the problem is.

The 3.5 to 3x RCA cable has 4 sections, going from tip to base, left audio, right audio, video, ground.

The video pin is soldered to the right audio (white on the cable), the left audio (red) also touches the ground (ring on the cable).  My guess at this point is the jack is of the audio/stereo variety and doesn't actually have the correct length of segments for a 4 segment connector to match up.  And the seller modded it specifically with the s-video working, but never tested composite.  Which would be fine... if I had more than one TV with S-Video on it... ?

So I will be ordering a new 3.5mm connector and testing it out.

2 minutes ago, Giles N said:

@leech

Just have to ask, - given your heading and all…

Precisely how many 7800-consoles are you up in by now…?

Any left on eBay after you raided it…?

Haha, this is my third.  1st was shattered and rusty (recapped now and cleaned up the rust and replaced the buttons on the console, works great as a test bed as it is a bare board now).  2nd (like the first) has a rather loose RF connection, so has lots of screen noise, tried to get the rf modulator off to repair, but they are a pain!  So just ordered a pre-modded one...

So now I have 3.  Ha!

• Like 1

Problem fixed!  Replaced the 3.5mm jack with a proper 4 post one (though I had to push it into the side, and accidentally melted a bit of the case trying to solder the wires back on... and now my room smells of burnt plastics... ) sound / video now works out of the composite cable, and video works out of the S-Video like it should :)  Guess I should inform the seller that he mucked it up :P

8 minutes ago, leech said:

Problem fixed!  Replaced the 3.5mm jack with a proper 4 post one (though I had to push it into the side, and accidentally melted a bit of the case trying to solder the wires back on... and now my room smells of burnt plastics... ) sound / video now works out of the composite cable, and video works out of the S-Video like it should :)  Guess I should inform the seller that he mucked it up :P

It is possible that the cable the seller was using could have been wired up differently. This is one of the reasons I don't personally use TRRS jacks is because unless I provide the cabling to go with it, I have no way of knowing for sure that the cable my clients have will work 100% with the way I have everything wired up. Using standard RCA jacks that are color coded prevents any of this confusion and creates a standard I don't have to second guess on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

It is possible that the cable the seller was using could have been wired up differently. This is one of the reasons I don't personally use TRRS jacks is because unless I provide the cabling to go with it, I have no way of knowing for sure that the cable my clients have will work 100% with the way I have everything wired up. Using standard RCA jacks that are color coded prevents any of this confusion and creates a standard I don't have to second guess on.

Yeah, I kind of wonder if the seller only tested the S-Video and Audio was working.  As that combination worked fine.  It seems to me that there are many different kinds of 3.5mm jacks... and I'd think most of the RCA cables are going to be the kind this was, where it's base to tip, Ground, Right, Left, Video.  Which on the connector seems to be 4, 3, 2, 1.  It looked like it was soldered correctly before on the connector, but I couldn't see how the internals were, but the fact I could pull the cable out just a little bit, and video would clear up, makes me think it was a 3 ring instead of 4.

I just know that my first Atari Flashback portable actually uses the white RCA for video and the yellow for audio on it as it appears to be wired internally backwards to most of the cables I had on hand. But you have it sorted out now and that is what matters!

1 minute ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

I just know that my first Atari Flashback portable actually uses the white RCA for video and the yellow for audio on it as it appears to be wired internally backwards to most of the cables I had on hand. But you have it sorted out now and that is what matters!

Weird!  yeah, all sorted.  I mean this isn't a cable I had laying around, he included it... so you'd think it'd be wired up right :)  now time to hook it up to the 1084S-D1 and play some of the light gun games :)