IGNORED

400/800 compatibility ???

RMila75

I thought it might be something like that.

I had heard that the 600 was the "replacement" for the 400. It didn't make sense that the two would be identical but I had hoped they would have made all the game carts compatible. Do you know of a compatibility list for the cart games?

And what of those multi-game carts available from sunmark.com? I guess I can just e-mail them, but I'm curious about everyone's practical use of these carts and how well they work.

I thought it might be something like that.

I had heard that the 600 was the "replacement" for the 400.  It didn't make sense that the two would be identical but I had hoped they would have made all the game carts compatible.  Do you know of a compatibility list for the cart games?

Well, as for compatibility, most games that don't work fail because they rely on something in the OS being at a particular address. Some things were guaranteed never to be moved in the OS and some things weren't. The things that weren't aren't supposed to accessed directly by programs.

-Bry

Yeah... programmers got lazy and instead of using a vector call to a subroutine, called the routines directly. Which atari just happened to move in the new OS.

Whoops.

Other incompatibilities are related to the switch from 4 joystick ports to two joystick ports.

I just snagged an Atari 600XL for myself and intend to pick up a bunch of the cart games and have the usual worry about the limited RAM on the machine (16K). But it sounds like I can play all of the common stuff that I want to play (Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Missile Command, etc.).

Voch