IGNORED

Indus drive with WD177X FDC

ijor

I understand that the Indus has space to install and use a WD1770 or WD1772 FDC instead of the WD2797. Did any drive actually ship with a 177X? Anybody at all tried and succeeded installing a 177X on the Indus?

I ask because the method implemented by firmware V 1.2 to detect the FDC type doesn't seem to very reliable, if it works at all. Detecting the installed FDC is important because the commands are slightly different. May be this was fixed in a later revision, or 1.2 was the latest?

Edited by ijor

According to the field service manual, no Indus shipped with a 1772.

Also the 2797 responds faster then the 1772 when tested by the firmware which is how it tells which one is present.

The field service manual is around the net somewhere.

James.

Edited by sup8pdct
Added info

The @MrMartian one has a protection incompatability with at least one game from my testing (I think it was Super Bunny, but I'd have to re-test or find my notes).  I never did figure out why.

So I reverted to the 'hacked' ROM that shortens the 'idle spin' and a few other tweaks until I can try it out more broadly again in the future.

The speed of that upgrade was nice though.

14 hours ago, sup8pdct said:

Also the 2797 responds faster then the 1772 ....

That's what the Indus Field Service Manual claims, doesn't mean it is true. I think they were quite confused abut this.

... when tested by the firmware which is how it tells which one is present

Yeah, I've seen the firmware performs this detection. And as I said, I think it is not a very reliable method, if it works at all. I suspect they never actually tested a 177X, at least not with the 1.2 firmware.