IGNORED

Tank AI Demo Released

Albert

TankAI.gifZach Matley has released the binary for the Tank AI demo shown at the recent Austin Gaming Expo. Tank AI is a version of Atari's Combat that pits you against a computer-controlled tank (the original version of the game requires two players). Tank AI will only feature the Tank game of Combat, but several unique mazes will be included. You can download the Tank AI demo here.

So for the sake of argument, is Tank AI a Hack or a Homebrew?

That point was debated for some time after I "leaked" the first release over a month ago.

It was finaly concluded, that it falls into a new catagory of "modified".

This means, not only was an original used, and altered, but that new code was added. Berzerk Voice Enhanced is another to fit this catagory.

The new two joystick version of former single controller games would also meet this catagory.

its good fun, very impressive and has a great feel of playing against someone. Although I beat the computer 21-2 on my first go, I take it the difficulty will be beefed up in the other selectable games on the cart.

very good fun and well worth waiting all these years for!

Lee

its good fun, very impressive and has a great feel of playing against someone. Although I beat the computer 21-2 on my first go, I take it the difficulty will be beefed up in the other selectable games on the cart.

very good fun and well worth waiting all these years for!

Lee

The demo AI seems to only seek out the other player. It doesn't seem to do any evasive stuff. This makes it pretty easy to kill as it rounds a corner. I guess the next step would be to determine when the human player has an open shot at the AI player.

-Bry

Does this also have a 2 player mode to enjoy the new mazes?

Sounds like Atari Age needs another contest like the one that made Minature Golf + a reality.New and better Combat mazes made by people who play the game...doesn't get much better than that.

Sounds like Atari Age needs another contest like the one that made Minature Golf + a reality.New and better Combat mazes made by people who play the game...doesn't get much better than that.

That sounds like a good idea, maybe a special version of Combat could be made that allows for more mazes. It'll have to wait until after this contest, though. :)

..Al

I have the next project for Zach Matley, making a one player version of Super Challenge Football:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32881

I'd love to see a one player Super Challenge Baseball! I loved that game, but it was a drag always having to find someone else to play with.

Tank AI is very promising, indeed. As pointed out, it's pretty easy to skunk the computer at this point, but it's still fun having that other tank chasing you around for the first time after 25 years. :D

That sounds like a good idea, maybe a special version of Combat could be made that allows for more mazes.

I like this idea too. A two player Combat with extra mazes would certainly take less time than Tank AI. I could get it done quickly, even though it would take more than just a graphics hack. Note that original combat mazes are symmetrical both vertically and horizontally. As the Tank AI demo shows, there is capacity for vertical symmetry only. In addition, it will take some adjustment to give Combat room for more than just the original four playfields.

Albert, let's talk aout this more when you get a chance.

• 4 weeks later...