IGNORED

Old Dark Caves: The Lower Caverns

pixelpedant

In 1988, the Asgard catalogue advertised "Old Dark Caves: The Lower Caverns" as "Available Jan 1, 1988". 

image.png.6f786439a92be48479d169d7a2c6cec4.png

I know of no trace of it. 

This is, to be clear, not Old Dark Caves 2, from two years previous. 

Was this just vaporware, as far as anybody knows? 

Legends 2 actually was released, after this, by Asgard and Granros.  But while this appears in the Asgard catalogue and is announced in a few newsletters, that's all I can find of it. 

The Asgard Adventure Reference Guide in 1989 makes no reference to this.  So my suspicion is that it went by the wayside. 

Seems like it wouldn't have been a trivial project, since the way it's described, it isn't using anything like either the Old Dark Caves engine or the Legends engine, but something completely different.  But then again, Asgard's advance descriptions of Granros' games were sometimes rather off the mark, so anything said needs to be taken with a grain of salt. 

5 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

have you asked Bobbitt?   

3 hours ago, pixelpedant said:

I have not.  Do you have a line open to him, maybe via Facebook?  Certainly would be the other person in the world most likely to have an insight. 

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I'm not sure the Facebook account he was using seems to be disabled

Jim (@Ksarul) should know how to get hold of Chris.

...lee

• 2 years later...

I'm pretty sure it was never released. I was an Asgard distributor at that time and purchased a copy of every release for my own use in addition to those ordered by others. I don't have it in my set, unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2024 at 9:40 PM, etownandy said:

I was thumbing through old catalogs last night and ran across that same edition from Asgard.  Did this thread ever get a conclusive answer on whether or not ODC LC existed?

I got a big pile of old floppy disks from Chris Bobbit in 2017 to make DSKs from, and this 2 floppies cames with it.

(seems to be version 2 of the game, and not sure if this is an Asgard version/distribution)

There were reading errors on both of the disks, and i never checked them out...

You should find them in the Asgard Software Archive thread, the RIP01....ZIP file

Page 1 in this thread, second post (if not, just let me know):

• Like 2