IGNORED

Klax 5200 opinion

MegaManFan

Honestly... it's not my favorite version.

I've played it with several different controllers now (chiefly the Wico stick and the Command Pro) and even though I can get good results regulating the action on the screen I still find it just doesn't compare to the 7800 with either a standard stick or a joypad, or the Tengen version on NES. The voice addition is somewhat interesting, the music in the intro is okay, and I'm glad to own the 5200 version just because it's out there and it keeps my 5200 collection complete.. but I'm just not blown away or overwhelmed with it like I thought I'd be. I have a feeling Adventure II will be a lot more bang for the buck.

Honestly... it's not my favorite version.

I've played it with several different controllers now (chiefly the Wico stick and the Command Pro) and even though I can get good results regulating the action on the screen I still find it just doesn't compare to the 7800 with either a standard stick or a joypad, or the Tengen version on NES.  The voice addition is somewhat interesting, the music in the intro is okay, and I'm glad to own the 5200 version just because it's out there and it keeps my 5200 collection complete.. but I'm just not blown away or overwhelmed with it like I thought I'd be.  I have a feeling Adventure II will be a lot more bang for the buck.

My wife felt the same thing. We played it a bit at the CGE, and it underwhelmed her. I never really played Klax (don't hit me please! :D) so I couldn't tell if it was done well or not.

I did play Adventure II at the CGE as well... this might be one of the first homebrews I actually buy. Very impressive, and it had a crowd of people around it everytime I walked by.

Brian

My wife felt the same thing.  We played it a bit at the CGE, and it underwhelmed her.  I never really played Klax (don't hit me please! :D) so I couldn't tell if it was done well or not.

I'm not sure that I can say it's done "poorly" - but the style of it lacks something I feel in the 7800 version. Maybe it's the sound effects. Maybe it's the look. But honestly when I heard it was coming out for 5200 I had high hopes since the 5200 is a better known console and should be easier to program for; then again the 7800 version was I guess almost done BEFORE it was released. *shrug*

I did play Adventure II at the CGE as well... this might be one of the first homebrews I actually buy.  Very impressive, and it had a crowd of people around it everytime I walked by.

Brian

There's no question it's going to be a huge hit. It maintains the feel that made the original so addictive, but updates the look and style to the max a 5200 is capable of, making it a true "sequel" in all senses of the word. :D