IGNORED

Questions about 1200 prototype

Benzinger

Yesterday I purchased a 1200 prototype from a local retro game store.  It has no power supply.  After doing some brief searching, I have questions about it that I hope the community can help with.  It seems that it's not particularly valuable, is that true?  Does it use the same power supply as the production 1200xl, or the standard 800xl ps?  And I saw something about the rom being different from the production model.  What is the difference?  Is it like the 800xl?

Thanks for any info.

• Like 2

Ah, OK.  That's not a prototype as such - it's a pilot unit.  Main differences from a standard 1200XL are that the case plastics should be smooth and the badge reads, "Atari 1200" as opposed to "Atari 1200XL".  Photos of the PCB would be interesting to see in case there are any differences to the full-production boards.  Also, it may be worth dumping the OS ROM just in case it's different to any of the known versions out there.

These were run off before full production of the 1200XL was underway, likely to test manufacturing processes and provide final units for tweaking or acceptance before releasing them into the marketplace.  It's believed that around 250 were made, so they are rare, but they do crop up from time to time.

Head over to the 1200XL Owners Club (serial tracker) thread and list it there :-D

• Like 2

Something more unique to have on display I suppose (in my case), or the fact that you probably got it for a lot cheaper than a production 1200XL off ebay or somewhere is a big plus. And of course had it been for sale on ebay it probably would have been selling for more than production units, and they are already outrageously priced these days! Great find!

But it just doesn't look quite right to me without the raised lettering under the smoked transparent plastic strip painted white to see easier. My perfectionism (or maybe slight OCD, though the only the symptom is needing things perfectly in order and neat, to me, no fears of anything like germs) would require me to paint them, so it shouldn't be allowed in my hands!? So I prefer the look of the production model for that reason alone. With XL attached to name or without doesn't bother me though, either way. I've got 3 1200XL's though, so my fair share and I'm satisfied. One restored and kept stock and on display for posterity, and two heavily upgraded with different upgrades in(or slated for) each. 

Welcome to the 1200(XL) owners club!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I purchased it along with a Video Pinball console and a box of about 50-ish mostly 2600 games for $150 total.  Seems fair to me.  Too many Combat, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man in that box, though.

Thanks for all the info.

So it likely has the same rom as the production 1200xl?

And are there any suggestions for where to get a power supply?  A quick search looks like I'm going to be paying around 25 or 30 bucks including shipping.  Sounds right?

I'll open it up sometime today and take some pics of the inside.

Edited by Benzinger
  • Like 1

My guess is that the 10.12 and 10.13 on the OS EPROMS is "version 10" and U12 and U13.  If that's so, the OS would be no different than what shipped with production 1200XLs as Rev 10 with 24 pin ROMs.  I guess the ROMs weren't available in 24 pin yet.  Also, the ribbon strap for the cartridge is non-mass production which have ridged solid leads bend at 90 degrees.  Nice find!  I'd say very rare. 

17 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Aren't there 2 known 1200XL OSes with the notable difference being the Atari logo on the boot screen?  And supposedly one of them practically unknown in production machines.

Yes the rev 11 is rather rare.  This is stock rev 10.   My pilot unit actual says 1200XL, so it’s nice to see the original 1200 badging. 

1 hour ago, ACML said:

My guess is that the 10.12 and 10.13 on the OS EPROMS is "version 10" and U12 and U13.  If that's so, the OS would be no different than what shipped with production 1200XLs as Rev 10 with 24 pin ROMs.  I guess the ROMs weren't available in 24 pin yet.  Also, the ribbon strap for the cartridge is non-mass production which have ridged solid leads bend at 90 degrees.  Nice find!  I'd say very rare. 

You forgot to notice and mention the unusual NEC dram chips with metal covers and gold pins too!

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

You forgot to notice and mention the unusual NEC dram chips with metal covers and gold pins too!

One of my 1200XL mainboards has the same NEC memory with metal covers (all 8).  I doubt mine is a pilot as the cartridge slot has the ridged solid leads and it came with 24 pin Rev 10 ROMs.

9 minutes ago, DavidMil said:

Is the ROM rev. 11 the flashy boot up display?

DavidMil

Rev 11 is easily identified by the ATARI splash screen that has the trademark (R) next to the "I".  The Rev 10 only says "ATARI" without the trademark (R).  Rev 11 is a must upgrade if you want to maintain a 1200XL OS.  It's 98% compatible with the 600/800XL OS.  If you want 100% 600/800XL OS compatibility, you can use the 800XL OS.  What's really nice about the 800XL OS besides compatibility is that it retained all the 1200XL keyboard and LED functionality so the F1-F4 keys work and the L1 and L2 LEDs also respond correctly.

The bootup displays are the same except Rev 11 has (R) superscripted to the right of the ATARI text.

Get the Rom here http://atarionline.pl/v01/index.php?ct=utils&sub=9. ROM-y&tg=Systemy operacyjne#Systemy operacyjne

Earlier thread about Rev 11 https://atariage.com/forums/topic/201076-anyone-have-a-1200xl-with-rev-11-os/

10 hours ago, Benzinger said:

And are there any suggestions for where to get a power supply?  A quick search looks like I'm going to be paying around 25 or 30 bucks including shipping.  Sounds right?

If you have a 400/800 or 810/1050 PSU that should work. 

If you need a PSU, 9V AC seems to be common with guitar amps and other musical equipment, so Amazon and musical equipment stores usually carry them.

Here‘s one that should work, you might have to adapt the plug, though.

As far as the power supply, I recommend the old tried and true Atari CO17945 that can be had on eBay for $15 to $30.  They are rock solid.  Make sure to get the 50W/31VA 9VAC version (says on back).  And if you want the best CO17945, get the one made in Japan not Taiwan.  The Japanese CO17945 has the added "for Atari 400 & 800 Home Computers" under the Fuji logo.  These are superior in that under the four rubber feet, there are screws that make replacing the fuse super easy if it was to ever blow.

• Like 2

This is the earliest serial number for the PILOT run on record.  We now have 10 PILOT units on the list out of the 250 made.  I will need to compare the modifications on this board with my #231 to see if its any different.  I highly doubt it, as the run of 250 was made and then re-worked as needed to produce the production run.

This is a great score, btw.   I'm very upset to hear all the wonderful stories of walking into some place and picking up such things. ?

Update:  Mine has the same cart ribbon wire and other mods to the board.  I just don't have those super sexy RAM chips.

• Like 4

It works!  But the rom is rev 10.

What upgrades does anybody suggest?  

ps, huge shout out to Best Electronics.  Ordered psu and video cable Tuesday and they arrived Wednesday.  Awesome!

pps, forgot to mention that of course 90% of the keyboard doesn't work.  So that's upgrade/repair #1

Boot Screen.jpeg

Edited by Benzinger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Benzinger said:

An easy #2 upgrade is to replace R63 with zero ohm resistor or just a piece of jumper wire (~22 gauge).  This allows the 5VDC on the SIO to power external devices like SIO2SD and ICD P:R: Connections.

If you want great s-video, try the ClearPic2002 mod or if you don't care if the RF metal shield remains, put in a UAV.

• Like 1

It works!  But the rom is rev 10.

Awesome!  Always good to have a result with an unknown machine on its first boot.

Wouldn't worry about the ROM being Rev. 10.

Honestly, given that this is a pilot unit, my inclination would be to not do any and look for a regular 1200XL as your daily driver / modification machine.  That said, a UAV and the +5V SIO mod would be top of my list, followed by obtaining a FujiNet to use with it.

ps, huge shout out to Best Electronics.  Ordered psu and video cable Tuesday and they arrived Wednesday.  Awesome!

pps, forgot to mention that of course 90% of the keyboard doesn't work.  So that's upgrade/repair #1

Hm.  Yeah, try Bob Woolley's clean-the-contacts method before replacing the mylar.  You might be able to save it.  Then again, both of mine required new mylars even after cleaning, so be aware that it may not work in every case.

I'll heartily recommend Best's mylars, which are probably going to outlast my time on this earth.

• Like 1