IGNORED

Build you regret doing yourself, and build that you loved the experience

jorge-1987

Hi!

I just finished "building" my TI99 to Atari joystick adapter, and I have regreted every second of this day. I live in a small apartment, and I don't have a proper workshop so I basically move my computer keyboard and work there. The problem is that I made poor decisions, tried to cut corners, and at the end of the day I'm just thinking why I didn't buy one with a nice 3D printed case and all that? Why did I think that I was going to have fun doing this mess of cables and diodes?

Build that I personally regret doing:
Atari02.thumb.jpg.cb4a581b33d823e7235f43384736070f.jpg
Atari01.thumb.jpg.0c9aa35f247d6b385b3c0fedcf01d4db.jpg

"Build" that I loved: Recapping my TI99 with new capacitors. It was fun, it was not that hard, and it was meaningful because it could extend the life of my new old computer. (In the picture I was still working on the power supply section)
TIrecap.thumb.jpg.878352f4a404c0d1cdd62e6988136be6.jpg

And you? Was there any build that you hated doing? One that you loved doing?

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jorge-1987 said:

Hi!

I just finished "building" my TI99 to Atari joystick adapter, and I have regreted every second of this day. I live in a small apartment, and I don't have a proper workshop so I basically move my computer keyboard and work there. The problem is that I made poor decisions, tried to cut corners, and at the end of the day I'm just thinking why I didn't buy one with a nice 3D printed case and all that? Why did I think that I was going to have fun doing this mess of cables and diodes?

Build that I personally regret doing:
Atari02.thumb.jpg.cb4a581b33d823e7235f43384736070f.jpg
Atari01.thumb.jpg.0c9aa35f247d6b385b3c0fedcf01d4db.jpg

"Build" that I loved: Recapping my TI99 with new capacitors. It was fun, it was not that hard, and it was meaningful because it could extend the life of my new old computer. (In the picture I was still working on the power supply section)
TIrecap.thumb.jpg.878352f4a404c0d1cdd62e6988136be6.jpg

And you? Was there any build that you hated doing? One that you loved doing?

Keyboard ribbon cable. Trying to repair one of these can be a chore.  

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Ugh you know I have a nice pcboard for that

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I know, I know, but I need to stop spending money for a while. I have a lot from your shop on wishlist waiting for now.

Back on the topic, aside from saving a few dollars, in my mind this looked way more fun than in reality, haha.

• Like 1