IGNORED

I'm facing a very hard decision...

ApolloBoy

While I've had a 5200 for a few months now, I'm jumping into the Atari 8-bit computer stuff (waiting for my just-purchased 65XE to arrive before I actually invest in a SIO2PC cable) and can't wait to play the .ATR files I have archived. :)

I was a Commodore junkie in my day and may break out that machine and get a XE1541 cable, too, if all goes well with the Atari.

I traded my Atari 800 (yes, the 4-port machine, given to me by a friend) for some Atari 2600 loot when I started collecting a few years ago and now regret the decision. I figured "hey...I'll just emulate that" but now that I've collected a few consoles I want to add some computers (especially after discovering SIO2PC and 64HDD).

Voch

I'll add to the general advice. Keep the computer get a 5200 later. As

cool as the 5200 is its more of an item I would reccomend to dedicated

console collectors. Unless you just dislike computer gaming you will

be much more satisfied with the computer in the long run. Recently

Sunmark made a 8-bit multicart that contained all the 5200 games that

were converted to the computer.

I gotta weigh in on this... I bought a 5200 [2 actually: 2-port and a 4-port]. Then, like a friggin' idiot, I sold my trusty 800XL when I thought my collection was getting a little outta hand.

Well, needless to say, I had a boatload of XL carts, and they stayed put with me. Why? Because I never shoulda sold the 800XL!!! So, I hop on eBay a little bit later, and pick up a nice XEGS. I liked the 800XL better because of the top-load cart slot, but the XEGS gets the job done, and reminds me of my old 130XE [also sold previously].

Do I ever play either of my 52's? Nope. Do I have brand new working controllers? Yup. Do I have the Masterplay joystick adapter? Yup. Do I have Sean's new on-screen menu version of the 5200 multicart? Yup.

What the hell is wrong with me?

Guess I'm a dyed-in-the-wool A8 guy -- it was my first home computer. What can I say?

Getting an SIO2PC cable makes it very easy to load software from a PC

Is there Windows based software to use with this or only DOS? I've been meaning to pick one up but I'm pretty DOS dumb. :(

The ape software is windows based.

So what is the major difference between the freeware and registered versions of APE? $104.99 seems pretty stiff

$104 is only if you get the cable as well. You can buy an sio2pc cable here for $30 bucks.

Registered just allows high speed i/o, but that is no good to you unless the high speed i/o is enabled in the OS (spartados or using the built in menu loader). Also the built in menu loader have a 5 second delay when you select a binary to load.

The only other limitation I ran into is with saving config files. For example if you load 3 disks as drive 1, 2 and 3 you can save that config so you will not have to set them up again. You can just load the config.

There is also a 30 second load delay when you first load winape. I solved this by having it autostart when my system boots. So when I want to use my atari I do not have to wait (unless I just turned on the computer).

I myself have been able to live with the limitations, but someone more impatient may not.

• 2 weeks later...