IGNORED

WTF! Sound is dead, HDMI weirdness.

jgkspsx

Okay, this is a special kind of crazy.

I have six devices going into my TV through a low-lag HDMI switch, including the VCS. Today, the VCS decided it didn’t want to output sound. I tested each other device in the switch, all had no sound problems. Then I unplugged the HDMI out (that goes directly into the TV) from the switch and plugged it into the VCS. The VCS won’t even boot. If I swap it back into the switch and plug the switch in, it shows the Asteroids boot animation.

One weird thing of note that may be relevant: when I booted it up I noticed I was missing some challenge

completions in Black Widow. When I played a normal game and then went back to challenges, it reset me all the way to zero.

Is the built in solid state storage failing or something? Has anybody seem anything like this?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

Okay, this is a special kind of crazy.

I have six devices going into my TV through a low-lag HDMI switch, including the VCS. Today, the VCS decided it didn’t want to output sound. I tested each other device in the switch, all had no sound problems. Then I unplugged the HDMI out (that goes directly into the TV) from the switch and plugged it into the VCS. The VCS won’t even boot. If I swap it back into the switch and plug the switch in, it shows the Asteroids boot animation.

One weird thing of note that may be relevant: when I booted it up I noticed I was missing some challenge

completions in Black Widow. When I played a normal game and then went back to challenges, it reset me all the way to zero.

Is the built in solid state storage failing or something? Has anybody seem anything like this?

Did you make any mods to the system? I wonder if something shorted somehow.

Well, good news! I unplugged my TV and let it sit overnight. Plugged it back in this morning, and everything is back to working fine. I don’t know how HDMI works, but my suspicion is that the TV assigns a process to handling input from one particular device id. That process presumably crashed. Of course I have no idea what I’m talking about so it could have been furbies in the circuits too. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3