IGNORED

And now for my next trick...

Andrew Davie

5) enCore - remember Paul Oswood?  The idea of this one is to program a game of similar design using what's still known about the original Core design.

Can you give us some more information about this? I searched Stella (using Google) and all I came up with is a guy was working on a 2600 game and he lost the game when a flood ruined his computer.

What type of game was it?

I will vote for finishing the tutorial. I've been accumulating the sessions so that I can print it out ( as soon as the printer gets fixed ).

I also like the idea of incorporating a game project into the tutorial.

My second choice is for you to continue on Fu Kung ( and make more than 10 copies available ;) )

5) enCore - remember Paul Oswood?  The idea of this one is to program a game of similar design using what's still known about the original Core design.

Can you give us some more information about this? I searched Stella (using Google) and all I came up with is a guy was working on a 2600 game and he lost the game when a flood ruined his computer.

What type of game was it?

Well, you can read all about it here, thanks to the Wayback Machine (the original page is long gone):

The Core

You may need to retry if it doesn't come up immediately, I was getting errors from their server periodically. Unfortunately, the screenshot is not archived, but Andrew says he has a copy at home. :)

..Al

My vote would be for a game similar to Boulder Dash, but different enough so that there'd be no problems with First Star. I'm not a fan of fighting games, so I doubt I'd go for Fu Kung. The DDR game - DiscoTech was the last name I am aware of - would also be good.

I think it would be interesting to see some 8-bit computer games ported backward to the 2600, as was done with Qb. How about Xagon? :) In addition, there's plenty of Analog and Antic magazine games that could get the cloning treatment. I'd love to have some of the Tom Hudson/Kyle Peacock collaborations, like Fire Bug, available again.

Of course, additional card games are always welcome. :)

7) Something else

I'd really like to see the book finished, of course. But I had a thought regarding a cool 2600 technology demo, that I think is probably impossible to do.

Which makes it that much more of a challenge. ;)

Make the 2600 generate this:

cubeanim.gif

A rotating "Space Duel" octahedron, using vectors. Of course, it won't actually be drawing vectors the way a vector monitor does, but I mean using vectors to create the image as opposed to, say, a large animated sprite. (As best as the 2600 could do anyway.)

Hi there!

7) Something else

I'd really like to see the book finished, of course. But I had a thought regarding a cool 2600 technology demo, that I think is probably impossible to do.

You can easily generate 5 lines of almost any angle on VCS. Only real difficulty are straight horizontal lines, but in the GIF you posted are none.

A rotating cube for example would be more difficult, though Thomas can do even this :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hmmm...

Well, there *are* more than 5 lines in the object, unless you count bent lines as one each.

I'm just curious to see if the 2600 could be used to generate something akin to a realtime 3D wireframe of an object (either in fact or appearance). (Yes... I am somewhat sadistic.) :twisted:

Hi there!

Well, there *are* more than 5 lines in the object, unless you count bent lines as one each.

Exactly. You have three bent lines going from top to bottom and another two in the middle.

I'm just curious to see if the 2600 could be used to generate something akin to a realtime 3D wireframe of an object (either in fact or appearance). (Yes... I am somewhat sadistic.) :twisted:

Ask Thomas when he's back from vacation :)

Greetings,

Manuel

I'd like to see Fu Kung completed, but only as a technological curiousity. I'm not sure I'd personally play such a game.

Why not make a unique game of your own, like you did with Qb? I'm thinking about what I always wanted to see & play on the Atari 2600, and one thing that was really cool back in those days was the use of Vector Graphics. Is it possible on 2600 to do anything interesting there?

Myself, I'll always be game for a good top-down shooter. If you can get it to scroll, even better! River Raid is my favorite 2600 game btw. But back then in the 80's, shooters were often space themed, space seemed so exciting in games! Plus the limited graphics back then were well suited for twinkly pixel stars. How about a scrolling starfield shooter but with ships that look like popular sci fi ones from Star Wars, Trek, Galactica, Space 1999, etc?

Or, how about Atari 2600 port of "koffi:yellow kopter?" Lord knows I'll never do one. ;)

Do you mean why won't I do it? Because 2600 programming SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME. Seriously, I don't understand how any of you can make anything work on the system. You have 2 sprites, block backgrounds, and no screen RAM! 128K of RAM! And some of you make games in only 4K of ROM! A nearly impossible feat!

I'm sticking with the "easier" 5200/8bit myself. I don't think I could do the 2600 justice.

Yes but let's face it - not everybody is going to produce a Star Fire, Thrust +, Oystron, Marble Craze, or This Planet Sucks. The people who create those kind of games are (A.) Incredibly gifted programmers (B.) Fully aware they'll never recoup the man/labor hours involved selling it and (C.) Terminally insane and (D.) I love them for all those reasons. :D

Hmmm...

I started a rotating 3D cube demo about two years ago.

After realizing that it is possible, but requires a lot of work, I stopped working on it. The only thing that became ready is a demo showing one single side of the cube rotating around (use left difficulty for automatic animation).

cube3d.zip

My vote would be for a game similar to Boulder Dash' date=' but different enough so that there'd be no problems with First Star.[/quote']

Yup, someone definitely should do that!

And there where already lots of clones for Boulder Dash that got away.

And, thanks to Manuel's new tool, the music is already almost finished: :)

boulderdash.zip

Do you mean why won't I do it? Because 2600 programming SCARES THE CRAP OUT OF ME. Seriously' date=' I don't understand how any of you can make anything work on the system. You have 2 sprites, block backgrounds, and no screen RAM! 128K of RAM! And some of you make games in only 4K of ROM! A nearly impossible feat!

I'm sticking with the "easier" 5200/8bit myself. I don't think I could do the 2600 justice.[/quote']

You meant, of course, 128 *BYTES* of RAM.