IGNORED

TIDir problem and a workaround

atrax27407

First, TIDir is an amazing program, indeed. I have however, encountered a problem when trying to create a CAMEL99 .dsk file for MAME that I have only recently been able to solve.

I have TIDir set up on my laptop with a folder named "PCFILES" on the laptop and the destination as A:\ - a USB 3.5" drive. (more later).

The CAMEL99 disk  in question contains 126 files which occupy 1090 sectors - both well within the parameters of a DSDD disk controller. I found that, when I tried to move the files to a 1440-sector ".dsk" file on either the laptop (in PCFILES) or the 3.5" drive, TIDir would crash about 3/4 of the way through the process. No matter what I tried, it crashed. Since I use PC-TRANSFER to move the files from the PC-formatted 3.5" drive to my TI, I solved the problem by doing the following:

1) Archive the 126 files on my TI with ARCHIVER 3.03.

2) Use PC-TRANSFER to add a TIFILES header and transfer the resultant file to a 720K PC-formatted disk.

3) Run TIDir and it very nicely creates a proper .dsk file with the archived file inside which I am able to load into MAME.

4) I then use ARCHIVER 3.03 (from within MAME) to un-arc the files into a blank .dsk file.

Job done but I still don't know why TIDir chokes on the transfer when the files aren't archived.     

Yea this is a problem with Object files like GRAM Object files will sometimes confuse TIDir into thinking they are ARC files.

Example is my original Assembly program WindyXB created files that would not be copied as by anything correctly.

Still have that issue today last time I tried nothing worked unless I create the file from the original to disk.

Which is weird as it works fine after that just will not copy?

25 minutes ago, dhe said:

While working with c99 assembler output, I've wanted to look at the assembler output. I bumped into 'File Truncated to 60K' - when viewing the file.

I would appreciate it if the view file window didn't have a size limit.

You may already know this, but, though an extra step or so, you can use Tools—>"Convert TI file to PC file"  to get a DOS text file you can open in your favorite text editor.

...lee

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

You may already know this, but, though an extra step or so, you can use Tools—>"Convert TI file to PC file"  to get a DOS text file you can open in your favorite text editor.

...lee

Yea that is the one that takes a DV80 Text file and turns it into a .txt file but if the name is "LRXB5" in DV80 the TIDir makes it "lrxb5.txt" on the PC every time.

At least it does from Classic99 files to PC in Windows. This bugs me as I did not want it all lower case.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Yea that is the one that takes a DV80 Text file and turns it into a .txt file but if the name is "LRXB5" in DV80 the TIDir makes it "lrxb5.txt" on the PC every time.

At least it does from Classic99 files to PC in Windows.

Not so with the option I described.  You can convert any record-length TI text file to any name DOS/Windows file. I routinely do it for DF128 blocks files. When you choose the Tools—>"Convert TI file to PC file" option while highlighting the desired TI-format file, a dialog box pops up, where you can name the output file anything you want. Of course, you also need to select the correct “Text/Data conversion option”, which is “Add CR/LF (EDITOR/ASM)”.

I will say that TI99Dir’s use of the term “convert” can be a bit misleading if you think the way I do. |:)  When I first contemplated using that option, I thought it would do an in-place conversion of the existing file, which would not be good. The converted file, however, is actually a new file. You are even warned of an impending replacement if a file with that name already exists.

...lee

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Not so with the option I described.  You can convert any length TI text file to any name DOS/Windows file. I routinely do it for DF128 blocks files. When you choose the Tools—>"Convert TI file to PC file" option while highlighting the desired TI-format file, a dialog box pops up, where you can name the output file anything you want. Of course, you also need to select the correct “Text/Data conversion option”, which is “Add CR/LF (EDITOR/ASM)”.

I will say that TI99Dir’s use of the term “convert” can be a bit misleading if you think the way I do. |:)  When I first contemplated using that option, I thought it would do an in-place conversion of the existing file, which would not be good. The converted file, however, is actually a new file. You are even warned of an impending replacement if a file with that name already exists.

...lee

Ok here is a pic of my screen you notice the file names in Windows and TIDir for the DV80 is UPPER CASE? 

Well how come when it goes to copy it makes the name LOWER CASE?

If I wanted LOWER CASE I would have already made it LOWER CASE so why is it defaulting to this?

Even if same name it still does this arbitrarily as if asking do it anyway why change name?

Screenshot 2022-02-01 105042.gif

By the way it does this even when there is no uppercase version there to even give a reason to change case of name.

I think this is a flat out bug!

Even if I delete the Windows file LRXB5.txt and convert using Tools>Convert TI file to PC file it saves as lrxb5.txt

Again this is a flat out bug!

2 minutes ago, RXB said:

Ok here is a pic of my screen you notice the file names in Windows and TIDir for the DV80 is UPPER CASE? 

Well how come when it goes to copy it makes the name LOWER CASE?

I don’t know and I don’t really care—because I can change it to “LoftyRichXrayBanjo.dOc” if I feel like it. The name provided by TI99Dir is merely a suggestion. For my fbForth blocks files, I usually accept the name before the extension, but change the extension to “.fbf”. When I drag files with that extension into Notepad++, the syntax decoration will be that for fbForth—quite convenient, I must say.

...lee

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee Stewart said:

I don’t know and I don’t really care—because I can change it to “LoftyRichXrayBanjo.dOc” if I feel like it. The name provided by TI99Dir is merely a suggestion. For my fbForth blocks files, I usually accept the name before the extension, but change the extension to “.fbf”. When I drag files with that extension into Notepad++, the syntax decoration will be that for fbForth—quite convenient, I must say.

...lee

I want the name I gave it to stick that way I do not have to go and rename every file back to what it was.

I do not think that is too much to ask as every other software I have ever used does this.

If I copy a file I did not ask for it to be renamed did I? 

There is a option to rename and I did not click on that option so why is it changing the name or asking?

I can understand if there was the same file named but even when it is not?

Again it is a bug!

On 2/1/2022 at 1:27 PM, dhe said:

While working with c99 assembler output, I've wanted to look at the assembler output. I bumped into 'File Truncated to 60K' - when viewing the file.

I would appreciate it if the view file window didn't have a size limit.

Thit is a Windows thing. I create an edit window with enough memory for the file and it seems that the maximum size is about 60Kb. I can't find any remedies for this.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:18 PM, RXB said:

I want the name I gave it to stick that way I do not have to go and rename every file back to what it was.

I do not think that is too much to ask as every other software I have ever used does this.

If I copy a file I did not ask for it to be renamed did I? 

There is a option to rename and I did not click on that option so why is it changing the name or asking?

I can understand if there was the same file named but even when it is not?

Again it is a bug!

Instead of moaning about this you could have contact me to explain the problem and I look into this. Until this day nobody ever never never never never never never never in the 20 years or so this program exists complained about this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Thit is a Windows thing. I create an edit window with enough memory for the file and it seems that the maximum size is about 60Kb. I can't find any remedies for this.

Can the clipboard hold it, and then the user can open it in Notepad++ or something by pasting?  Just thinking about other options.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Instead of moaning about this you could have contact me to explain the problem and I look into this. Until this day nobody ever never never never never never never never in the 20 years or so this program exists complained about this.

Someone else brought it up, so I assumed I could say something in the chat.

I am not wrong it does this and annoys me as no other program for files I have ever used defaults to change the name.

You have to admit if you can name one besides TIDir that does this, I have been a programmer since 1976 and never seen this.

I love TIDir except for this to me a bug, some people like typing in the same file name for a copy, I do not.

Also hardly anyone writes to me directly about a bug in my software, normally I hear about it in a chat or in passing too.

Yes, the standard Windows edit control is 60k. I haven't tried, but you might be able to increase how much data it can hold by sending EM_LIMITTEXT (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/controls/em-limittext)

Clipboard can easily hold megs and megs.

And nobody ever reports bugs. Instead they try to work around them, ask unrelated people for tricks... ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, RXB said:

Someone else brought it up, so I assumed I could say something in the chat.

I am not wrong it does this and annoys me as no other program for files I have ever used defaults to change the name.

You have to admit if you can name one besides TIDir that does this, I have been a programmer since 1976 and never seen this.

I love TIDir except for this to me a bug, some people like typing in the same file name for a copy, I do not.

Also hardly anyone writes to me directly about a bug in my software, normally I hear about it in a chat or in passing too.

No hard feelings here RXB.

I think that I have added this feature since the beginning of this programbecause most Windows files are in all lower case and most TI files are in all upper case.

I will add a checkbox in the configuration part for the user to decide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tursi said:

Yes, the standard Windows edit control is 60k. I haven't tried, but you might be able to increase how much data it can hold by sending EM_LIMITTEXT (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/controls/em-limittext)

Clipboard can easily hold megs and megs.

And nobody ever reports bugs. Instead they try to work around them, ask unrelated people for tricks... ;)

Thnaks, Problem solved. Did not know EM_LIMITTEXT could also be used to increase the default maximum of 64Kb.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

No hard feelings here RXB.

I think that I have added this feature since the beginning of this programbecause most Windows files are in all lower case and most TI files are in all upper case.

I will add a checkbox in the configuration part for the user to decide.

Thank you that is very generous of you.

Rich

A new version of Ti99Dir v8.3a is available here: https://www.ti99-geek.nl/Projects/ti99dir/ti99dir.html

Added a checkbox for preserving file name case when converting TI file to PC file

Added a checkbox for preserving file name case when converting PC file to TI file

Fixed the maximum Viewer buffer size from 64Kb to infinity (thanks to Stefan and Tursi)

Fixed some naming issues when copying files from one medium to another medium (Ti99Dir liked uppercase TI files a lot).

Enjoy ;-)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1