IGNORED

Deep Throat for the VCS 2600

khryssun

Here is the scan of an advertisement I found in a 1983 video games magazine about the game deep throat.

The image is now 24 bits with smaller size ! Thanks to Artlover and ZylonBane

deep_throat.jpg

It's obvious the game box displayed is a mok-up.

Does someone got some infos about this title/publisher ?

I have found nothing. It seems to have been unreleased (another prototype to be found by tempest ? ;) )

Any comment / suggestions ?

Oooooh Zilla you awakened the wanking spirit! HERE I CUM BABY!!! err come... :D

Let's see.. how can you have a Deep Throat videogame. :ponder: Maybe you can just take Beat em and Eat em and move the chicks up far enough to the wanker sprite.. and then.. DEEP THROAT! :love:

I'm also still waiting for that port of the movie TABOO :)

Wow, I can't believe anyone would even attempt to make a video game based on that film. Couldn't have been any worse than Custer's Revenge, though.

But Custer's Revenge was educational. It taught us more about a part of US/indian relations that's almost always neglected in the history books.

This game is just BEGGING for some mock-up screens.

Perhaps one could hack Placque Attack (say that out loud - it's fun) and turn the toothpaste tube into a phallus. You would be saving Linda Lovelace's clitoris from evil prn producers perhaps? Or the food could be turned into spooge. It all works.

I'd like to see that ad's whole page. Is this Deep Throat game supposed to be linked with those Wizard titles? Maybe there's a clue there. Deep Throat would have made a nice companion to Flesh Gordon.

Well, the original JPG file I had was 846 ko, so I reduce the colors to 256 then I reconverted the picture to jpeg (which automatically upgrade the file color depth encoding but only using the 256 colors I had) so I get this 200 k file.

Thanks for your suggestion ;)

Well, the original JPG file I had was 846 ko, so I reduce the colors to 256 then I reconverted the picture to jpeg (which automatically upgrade the file color depth encoding but only using the 256 colors I had) so I get this 200 k file.

It doesn't work that way. JPEG doesn't even recognize the concept of a palette. It divides an image into 8x8 cells and attempts to approximate the contents of each cell with a series of cosine transforms (gross oversimplification). Long story short, JPEG is most effective with smooth color transitions, so by reducing to 256 colors you actually made things harder for the JPEG compression algorithm.

The only reason the new file is 200K instead of 846K is because you saved it at a lower quality setting than the original.

Right.

Jpegs should pretty much only be used with 24bit color image sources.

Do you still have the original 24bit color BMP? Try converting that to Jpeg using a quality setting of 70% or so. The file should end up being around 50-60k or so and look just as good. :)

Someone should speak to John Harris regarding Deep Throat and, get this, the ALTERNATE versions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I believe Halloween. If I recall correctly, some folks he had been working with were working on entirely different versions of the same games, and they may have had a hand in the Deep Throat game, too. It was a couple years ago, but it would be nice to have John set the record straight. I think Flesh Gordon was part of it, too.

Mike

Someone should speak to John Harris regarding Deep Throat and, get this, the ALTERNATE versions of Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I believe Halloween. If I recall correctly, some folks he had been working with were working on entirely different versions of the same games, and they may have had a hand in the Deep Throat game, too. It was a couple years ago, but it would be nice to have John set the record straight. I think Flesh Gordon was part of it, too.

Mike

Awesome, The Wizard games have always interested me...Ever since I was a lad and saw the ad's for TCM and Halloween in the back of Fangoria magazines. I also recall the ad for Flesh Gordon and have always wondered what gameplay was like. It seems to me Ive seen an alternate screenshot of TCM before, But not Halloween. Does anyone keep in touch with John Harris ?

ZylonBane wrote

The only reason the new file is 200K instead of 846K is because you saved it at a lower quality setting than the original.

Well, I haven't saved the file in a lower quality, I let it in "best quality" (ratio 1) :? (Well, you make me doubt, I'll test this procedure again ;) ). I just reduced the color depth to 8 bits before save it again in jpeg format which automatically increased the depth.

Anyway thanks for your infos about how jpeg format works ;-)

Right.  

Jpegs should pretty much only be used with 24bit color image sources.  

Do you still have the original 24bit color BMP? Try converting that to Jpeg using a quality setting of 70% or so. The file should end up being around 50-60k or so and look just as good. :)

I scan it again and use a good ratio to reduce the file size to 89 ko and keep a nice display.

Thanks ;)

The alternate version:

http://www.atariprotos.com/2600/software/t...ainsawproto.htm

Doesn't look good at all, more like 2600 programming practice. I've never heard rumors of an alternate Halloween. There have never been any rumors of Flesh Gordon actually existing beyond concept art either as far as I've seen. Deep Throat looks like it didn't even make it to the concept art stage. That's a scraped-together box design like the old Coleco ads where it was all black with just the game logo.

The alternate version:

There have never been any rumors of Flesh Gordon actually existing beyond concept art either as far as I've seen.

At one point, Sierra On-Line was doing Flesh Gordon and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I don't know the details of the business side of things, nor what happened to the later stages of the products. I just did some advising on the kernel for the games.

The only sequence I remember from Flesh Gordon, (and perhaps it was the only sequence even completed), had your character (Flesh) being chased around the screen by Prince Precious. If he caught you, the game displayed a rather graphic (by 2600 standards) animation of Flesh being buggered, and the caption, "Ugh, my ass!" beneath it. A bit too anatomically correct to even be shipable, I suspect.

I dug around my old 2600 development disks, and do not appear to have any copies of this. :(

- John Harris

I'd like to see that ad's whole page. Is this Deep Throat game supposed to be linked with those Wizard titles? Maybe there's a clue there. Deep Throat would have made a nice companion to Flesh Gordon.

I personally do not think that Games People Play and Wizard were associated. I too would like to see the whole page of this ad. My belief is that since it is a French ad, it may have been placed by a distributor that was carrying the Wizard and the forthcoming Game People Play games.