IGNORED

das boot has failed

dhe

I received my v2 boot eprom from Bob, he even helped me dump it, so I have a backup! Thanks Bob.

Got new v2 eprom installed, it was a pain, the other eprom has like welded in to place and I had to lift a memory pin a bit that was sitting on top of the eprom.

But that's all good now.

I booted off a: with system-sys and load-scs, used DM to copy the files to scs1.

Powered Off, took out the floppy. Powered On.

No boot.

What did I do wrong?

screen.jpg

contents.jpg

10 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

(Agreed - subject line nearly had me ignore this topic, might have been good to post this in one of the existing boot eprom related topics)

Hey - What about some props for using a TAG?

Also, anyone have any feedback on why SYSTEM-SYS and LOAD-SCS didn't have a time and date stamp?

TAG, you're it.

I thought about the question you posed to me re: SCS0.  I checked the Geneve DSR code to see if implementing it would be feasible.  There are unit number tests littered throughout the OS.  Most of the obvious ones would be simple "fixes" while others would require a bit more work to ensure unit 0 wasn't passed to all of the other devices.  I can think of two ways to accomplish it and will give it some more thought.

Aligning SCSI ID 0 to SCS0, SCSI ID 1 to SCS1, etc. does have a bit of appeal to me as it would take away the inherent confusion between SCSI ID and unit numbers.  I'll keep it on the list for further review.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Tried booting tonight.

SCSI Controller comes on and just stays on, nothing else happens.

I changed drive id 1 to drive id 0 in the sd2scsi app.

Long form, load setup from drive, made change, save setup to drive. restarted sd2scsi app and reload setup from drive to verify changes where made.

drive id 0 has system-sys and load-scs on the root directory.

Any ideal where to do next?

Just for everyone's information should there be another unique case like Dan's.  Dan had a custom eprom and from the disassembly and comparing to other LOAD/SYS code, everything revolved around a SCS6 ID mapping.  In the LOAD/SYS file, actually with a different name, the CRC check for a valid MDOS forces a CRC check and does not allow bypassing the load if it fails the check.  I changed a jump instruction to a NOP instruction that while it will still do a CRC check, it does not go to the abort routine, but rather proceeds through to the startup code.

At least I hope it does.

If there are any other custom Geneve boot eprom's out there, give a shout out if they were a 1-off type deal.

Hopefully, Dan will have a positive report in the morning.  If not, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Beery

• Like 2