IGNORED

Me vs. Atari

Atari Superman

If I can be disproven please do but YES: I think as a community we should put it into the record as it were that the 400 version of the new VCS was never actually released, and any preorders (theoretically, unclear if there ever were any) that were for the 400 ended up getting the regular Collector's Edition of the 800 instead. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, zzip said:

I don't think the 400 ever got released,  I just don't think it was an accident that they chose the 400/800 naming

I agree.  I think they were trying to use anything/everything available to market this to anyone slightly familiar with the original home console or computer line of products. 

46 minutes ago, Mockduck said:

If I can be disproven please do but YES: I think as a community we should put it into the record as it were that the 400 version of the new VCS was never actually released, and any preorders (theoretically, unclear if there ever were any) that were for the 400 ended up getting the regular Collector's Edition of the 800 instead. 

If any exist, I'm sure they would have shown up on eBay by now with a ridiculous asking price, based on its "rarity".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zzip said:

VCS brings back nostalgia.  

Not sure I can see nostalgia in their new console. Maybe others do. Just not my bag of sugar.

4 hours ago, zzip said:

They also gave the VCS model numbers of 400 and 800. 

Like adding insult to injury.

4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I wasn't thrilled with calling it the VCS either, but I understand why they did it.

Perhaps sometimes understanding is what comes about after one has convinced oneself that's the way it should be.

IMHO it's too easy a nostalgia grab.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Perhaps sometimes understanding is what comes about after one has convinced oneself that's the way it should be.

Please don’t misunderstand my statement. I’m under no delusion that this is the way it “should be” or could have been.  But I understand that the current Atari is trying to market and sell a product, and quite possibly believed it would be easier to sell their product by calling it, what they chose to call it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/19/2022 at 11:32 PM, Atari Superman said:

leech, you are correct. Just hooked up a different VCS to my network, and it's working perfectly. The one I had to threaten them to send me is defective. They currently don't seem to want to believe that, and I don't know what else I can do to convince them except maybe go after the money I gave them. Their customer service is responsive enough unless they owe you a refund or a replacement, and then it's close ranks, obfuscate, and stall and hope that the customer goes away. I get the sense that every sale counts with these guys and they can't afford to lose too many of them. The Atari brand deserves better.

Once this finally gets sorted out, I do look forward to playing this thing. And I can say no wrong about the RetroN in the meantime. If anyone's on the fence, don't be. It's been the closest thing to Atari in the living room than actually wheeling out the Atari.

Is that different VCS yours? borrowed?  Since wired works, I would suspect something about the wireless network adapter.  Can you compare adapter settings between the two?  If not perhaps the wireless network adapter is removable? Swap to test?

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Is that different VCS yours? borrowed?  Since wired works, I would suspect something about the wireless network adapter.  Can you compare adapter settings between the two?  If not perhaps the wireless network adapter is removable? Swap to test?

Weren't there a few reports of faulty wifi cards elsewhere?   I am thinking on Discord.  I can't remember if I even set mine up on wifi, pretty sure mine has always been wired.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, leech said:

Weren't there a few reports of faulty wifi cards elsewhere?   I am thinking on Discord.  I can't remember if I even set mine up on wifi, pretty sure mine has always been wired.

There's an issue where it tends to go into sleep mode.   There's a setting you can change in PC mode to work around it,   it may affect AtariOS as well?    Mine had trouble in AtariOS mode so I just plugged it into ethernet.    Maybe they fixed it eventually with a patch,  I havent tried wifi lately