IGNORED

side3 cart question

DavidC

I am thinking about getting a side3 cart for my 600xl. My computer is upgraded to 64k and I do have a S-Drive Max. Is it worth purchasing the Side3 to go

along with the S-drive max?  Do they work well together?  As always, thank you for any advise you may have. I am new to Atari, but I am hooked. 

15 minutes ago, mimo said:

What do you want to do with the Side3 cart? If it's just to load games then just stick with the sdrive imo

Good question! Would it allow me to use things like Altirra Extended Basic, Atari LOGO and other things of that nature on my 64k 600XL?  

33 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

SIDE3 will indeed allow you to emulate all kinds of cartridges. SDrive has absolutely no cartridge loading capability whatsoever.

I just watched your video on youtube about the Side3. The combo of SDrive and Side3 should suffice for my needs.  Thank you for making that video, and answering my question. 

Edited by DavidC
  • Like 1

One more quick question while I wait for the SIDE3 to arrive.   I have been doing a lot of reading about this device.  As far as I understand it, I will not be using the SDX capabilities because my 600xl is only upgraded to 64k. That is ok with me as I only want to use it as a loader.

So,  I format a SD card in my PC as Fat32? Then I can load cart images and other files normally (drag and drop or copy/paste) onto the card. Then I make sure to put the switch on the SIDE3 to the Upper position?  It is as simple as that?  Boot up the Atari and have fun with what is loaded on the SD card?  Is that correct? 

• 7 months later...

I have a question. Is the Side3 compatible with an Atari 400? I was recently given an Atari 400 by a friend. I've had the memory upgraded with reifsnyderb's 1052k card and I'm getting ready to have the video upgraded with the S-Video card from reifsnyderb. So I'd really like to be able to use something like the Side3 with it. Is that possible?

Thanks in advance,

Dean