IGNORED

Best simple ROM pack?

JagChris

What is the best simple rom pack for the atari 8 bits? It doesn't have to be everything just most of the major ones or some of the major ones from every category or alphabetically. I tried to download a rom pack and it was zips within zips. I'm not unzipping all that that's nuts.

i got one with my SiO SD but it was so disorganized along with tons of file corruption so I just deleted it and want to start over.

18 hours ago, JagChris said:

I have a question. I noticed the legendary Goonies game says (130XE) next to it. 

Do I need 128k to run this?

The version that explicitly says "(130XE)" in the file name needs 128K memory. 

But the version on the GAMES065.ATR image runs on 800XL just fine. 

http://mushca.com/f/atari/index.php?dl=065

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/28/2022 at 3:28 PM, JagChris said:

Among other things it has a DS store file. What is that?

You can ignore/delete it. It's a byproduct of the file being handled through a Macintosh machine at some point. On a Mac, it can store information about the directory. On an other OS it's useless.

• Thanks 1

Homesoft is perfect for a good selection of games, updated, cleaned and sorted.

You'll find other useful links (applications, other games, manuals) in Topic for newbies or veterans returning to Atari (section 3).

Multiload disk version (ATR) of The Goonies needs 64KB.

It's single load version (XEX) that needs 128K.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I know, that bugs the crap out of me too, but I wasn't going to say anything this time. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Not just you Bri, some people do want roms / crt's and I'm sure the op was one of them. I just find it a little disrespectful to the system if you don't even know what type(s) of software it runs. It also helps people find a lot more good software if they bother to see the types it uses.

dunnoh... maybe they should be called media packs / code packs / data packs... anything but romz  /  I was just thinking about random access packs of the past who knows could they be 'mix packs'?

My 80's Atari 'mix' pack...  :)

Edited by _The Doctor__

So I grabbed a few files that the pack didn't have that I mentioned. Such as the SSI stuff. Along with Star Raiders rom. I'm still looking for Montezuma's Revenge but haven't looked very hard yet.

I thought it would be nice to pick up some actual 8bit carts at the Portland Retro Gaming Swap meet. I was shooting for Star Raiders. Maybe Archon, Pitfall II or whatever they may have had. Every other time, except when I'm there looking for them they've got tons. But the pickins were nearly non-existent for anything A8. 

Until I ran into this wild man @swlovinist and he happened to have, and only have A8 Star Raiders. He gave me a great deal. 

IMG_20220306_124547.jpg

Homesoft converts cart images and disks to executable files, fixes the OS requirements, sometimes adds loading screens and generally fixes all the things that can make finding a working copy tricky. Sometimes these changes need more memory to run that the original. Cart conversions are an obvious one, there is no bank switching on an XEX file but carts can be made to do that. 

As an extreme example, there's a Home-brew game Called AtariBlast! which requires 1M of RAM to run the XEX but on a cart, it only needs 16K. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I get the Atari computers failed over time even though they were doing well for a long time. I want to know since they stopped making them, It wasn't due to lack of Liking from buyer,  but commadore, sony and other builders came and went. I fee like Atari just wasted to much cash and didn't improve the brand. I read that a german company bought the company, if so why haven't they gotten the company back into fun computer building? I would buy another one if they reintroduced the Atari computer back into the world, modernize it. but never turn it into another IBM clone.