IGNORED

Best options for color crt display?

James app-2008

Hello,

i have a ti99/4a computer that i currently use with a small black and white, crt.  i think its a 9” monitor. 

i have a nice sony nine inch color, crt, monitor that i use for games and tv with a convertor box. 

but when i hook up my ti99/4a i have trouble reading the text as it gets blurry. 

for some reason my black and white crt is better at displaying text. But ive always thought the ti99/4a startup screen is beautiful in color. And would not mind fooling around with programming in color. 

so i wondered if anyone had some thoughts on how to either improve my current color screen? Or a good idea for a color crt monitor for the ti99/4a

i want a crt. 

ive looked at the commodore 1702 which looks nice. Although i haven’t seen the ti text command line or startup screen on it? 

also what about a high end pvm or bvm? I have an ikegami monitor i really like that is rgb capabable. 

anyway any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated

Hello,

i have a ti99/4a computer that i currently use with a small black and white, crt.  i think its a 9” monitor. 

i have a nice sony nine inch color, crt, monitor that i use for games and tv with a convertor box. 

but when i hook up my ti99/4a i have trouble reading the text as it gets blurry. 

for some reason my black and white crt is better at displaying text. But ive always thought the ti99/4a startup screen is beautiful in color. And would not mind fooling around with programming in color. 

so i wondered if anyone had some thoughts on how to either improve my current color screen? Or a good idea for a color crt monitor for the ti99/4a

i want a crt. 

ive looked at the commodore 1702 which looks nice. Although i haven’t seen the ti text command line or startup screen on it? 

also what about a high end pvm or bvm? I have an ikegami monitor i really like that is rgb capabable. 

See the FAQ for options for output https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/ti-99-4a-faq/

Stock ti NTSC is composite or RF.

The best output is VGA with a f18a.

Check my store before making statements about availabilities

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity 

the f18a is vga? 

do i need a vga monitor? 

my crt color monitor is composite it has a bnc connector? 

also why can i read my black and white composite monitor better?
The f18a is VGA so yes you need a VGA display

The NTSC composite signal is pretty poor quality for text you usually have some bleed over at the edges this is Normal for all composite displays and computers

Other machines offer signals that can be output as svideo which has better quality but still not as good as VGA.. the 9918a does not output anything but composite..

There's a tms-rgb that requires a different vdp and gives RGB out at 15khz

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

• Like 1

RF modulation (convering composite video to simulated television broadcast) is even worse.

PAL models don't output composite video. I've modified my RF modulator to get the composite video signal and send that to my monitor. The PAL RF modulator first builds composite video, then convert that to antenna signal. You can tap off the composite midway, so to speak.

Before I did that, I frequently pressed the "convert to monochrome" function on my monitor, which makes it green/black instead of color.

Edited by apersson850
  • Like 1

I remember having the same thoughts when I went from a b&w TV monitor to the TI color monitor.

Page 200 of the Extended basic manual has a list of color combinations that "produce the sharpest, clearest character resolution." There are 4 groups ranked in order from best to fourth best.

There was a console modification involving replacing a capacitor that supposedly gave a sharper image. I did that and thought it helped, but not very much.

JB's advice above is good.

Another thought: at one time crt televisions had a focus control

There is no way a composite monitor is going to give the same sharpness as a modern one but it can be useable, and the color is nice to have. I think it is a matter of adjusting your expectations.

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 4:52 PM, James app-2008 said:

The 1702 is a decent choice. You can also search for a LCD that has composite in (yellow RCA), and see what you get. You'll need the DIN-5 to RCA cable from arcadeshopper.

40 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

The 1702 is a decent choice. You can also search for a LCD that has composite in (yellow RCA), and see what you get. You'll need the DIN-5 to RCA cable from arcadeshopper.

Bear in mind that most LCDs with composite inputs treat all incoming signals as interlaced, so you will notice motion tearing, some anti-aliasing, or flickering objects may appear solid or not at all.  Just how it is with our "retro" equipment, nothing wrong with the LCDs or the TI.

• Like 1