IGNORED

TI-PONG 2022 - (by Skirla)

ti99iuc

The point is an accepted naming convention is in place, which has been around for many years, which several products use to automatically identify what would otherwise be just hunks of data.  MAME does not use this convention because its cartridge packages (rpk files) include a layout file which tells the emulator exactly what each file does.

Some assumptions are made without that character or when that character conflicts with the convention, sometimes the wrong assumption.

I mean, non-conformist rugged individualism is sexy, but perhaps not always practical.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

It's only one character|:) - Tomorrow, the WORLD!:evil:

I haven't extended it in the last 25 years, but now you're trying to lay FUD that I'm going to.

Obviously I can't win, I'm just trying to stop people from coming to me and saying "why doesn't THIS file work in Classic99?" We were making good progress, but we threw it all away and now I get 2-3 per month. And it's /always/ because of something in the filename.

I think you're joking around, but I'm genuinely frustrated by it. If you want to win, then I will stop helping with these issues. Then it won't be my problem anymore.

18 hours ago, mizapf said:

I have to disagree; from the MAME point of view, the ZIP do make more sense than the RPKs in terms of preservation - but it's not the ZIPs that preserve; the relevant file is the XML file.

The preservation angle is only true if the ROM file is preserved alongside MAME, which is explicitly forbidden by the MAME license. Otherwise in 30 years if you find the zip file, you still need to find a copy of MAME - and not just any copy, but the copy that understands that particular version of the zip. All the zips do is lock you in to a proprietary data format.

It's not MAME that we're trying to preserve... so the MAME centric view doesn't make sense in that scope. ;)

Preservation and proof of authenticity are different goals. People want to preserve everything. They don't really care if it was the original or someone's basement hack - they'll figure that out quickly enough. Besides, the CRCs in MAME are based on the current "known" dump, which has many times in the past changed as knowledge of the machine it came from changed. It's just the developer's opinion whether it's correct and worse, whether it's even worthy of inclusion.

But we've /had/ this debate and we don't need to have it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 11:00 PM, ti99iuc said:

The historical videogame par excellence is undoubtedly Pong. The first commercialized digital tennis game. Did we need yet another version in 2022? 
I would have answered no but, in this enhanced version which includes the use of the joystick and also a single player mode that include the AI for the computer player.... well, I had to change my mind! ?

This is how an Italian developer who signs himself with the pseudonym 'Skirla' (but also known as 'Piso' ), who as his first official complete game, gives us a version of Pong that we did not yet have on the TI-99/4A!
It will take the additional 32K to be able to get it started.

1853589891_TIPong2022-0.thumb.png.2e90303170f793629b770a42bc3c7981.png  808425808_TIPong2022-1.thumb.png.711cb98f3e55f9d0e08b28a06a4c75a3.png  318088786_TIPong2022-2.thumb.png.6363d25a63ac8ad138ccad86f836f1a0.png  1553495164_TIPong2022-6.thumb.png.410355492c8b2d97c8430e65b7c09bd8.png

The Downloads including the XB, EA5

for the .BIN I created it using the Make Cart @Tursi utility  (Thanks!). 
It is a GROM image and on my FG99, I do now know why, it seems to not work but it is ok with emulators.

Can maybe Help with this please? maybe to create a ROM image?
Module Creator seems to have a limit in doing the conversion of these EA5 files.

In the meanwhile, I also created a couple of labels for the cartridge:
967011056_(Eng)-(Label)-(TI-PONG_2022-Label-ClassicStyle)-(2022)-(bySkirla)-(fromti99iuc.it).thumb.png.0a3bf6b4bd6cdb8a77d9dcdce7837177.png  1469770265_(Eng)-(Label)-(TI-PONG_2022-Label-ModernStyle)-(2022)-(bySkirla)-(fromti99iuc.it).thumb.png.e8fc2fa3466ea1bd9778be9557d43e57.png

Description and free downlaod can be found in the TI99iuc website following this page

these are the direct link for the .ZIP files:

- XB

- EA5

- Cartridge image (GROM) - (include the labels)

I just added the source code , music , splash screen for magellan in case someone is interested Insert other media

PONG.zip

• Like 7