IGNORED

Atari 2600 & Commodore 1080 Monitor

Beast96GT

Hello!  

I was wondering if I could hook up my Atari 2600 and/or Intellivision to a Commodore 1080 (Amiga) monitor.   On the back of the monitor are inputs for Audio, Video, and Chroma.   There's also a switch entitled RGB Mode that switches between Digital Positive, Digital Negative, and Analog.   I'm not trying to be lazy--normally I'd just pull it out and try it all out--but it's all currently packed up and I'd like to tap into this fine community to see if it's even an option.   Thank you!!

-Chris

16 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Definitely not, unless your consoles have been modded to include A/V output. Or you happen to have an RF Demodulator and/or a VCR that perform the same function. Ie: RF output from your console gets converted to composite by those devices for use with the 1080 monitor.

I see you on the Amiga forums a lot, Save 2600.. :D  Now your username makes sense.    Is there a third party way to hook it up to a 1080 (or 1084S) or do I just need to buy an old CRT TV?   Thanks, bro!!

-Chris

37 minutes ago, Beast96GT said:

I see you on the Amiga forums a lot, Save 2600.. :D  Now your username makes sense.    Is there a third party way to hook it up to a 1080 (or 1084S) or do I just need to buy an old CRT TV?   Thanks, bro!!

-Chris

Landing yourself an old(er) CRT TV would probably be the easiest, cheapest and most rewarding* way to play the old consoles for sure. But A/V modding an Atari isn't expensive if you can do it yourself.

Have a look at the Marketplace here... @sixersfan105 was selling external RF Demodulators recently and may have some left. And again, if you have an old VCR laying around, can simply use that to convert your RF signals to composite A/V out to your 1080 monitor. 

*19"-20" CRT television just about the perfect size for classic gaming IMO, definitely nicer than the 13" size of a 1080 monitor... unless you're sitting right next to it of course.  ?

**You can also mod many of these consoles to output S-video too and that would better take advantage of the inputs on your 1080 monitor. Just depends if you're really bent on gaming on the 1080 or tracking down an S-video capable TV, which is not such an easy thing to do.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, save2600 said:

Have a look at the Marketplace here... @sixersfan105 was selling external RF Demodulators recently and may have some left. And again, if you have an old VCR laying around, can simply use that to convert your RF signals to composite A/V out to your 1080 monitor. 

I do, indeed, have one RF demodulator remaining. @Beast96GT, feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to chat about it. Smaller footprint than a VCR but same concept. Cheers.