IGNORED

ti 99/8 emulation/usage

jenorton

Hi:

I know that, using MAME, I can run the TI 99/8 emulation.

I know it has some nice built-in things, but, I am curious.

Do any of you prefer using it to other TI 99/4 or 4A emulation?  If so, what do you use it for and why do you prefer it.

Are there things you want to do that you cannot use the TI 99/8 emulation for?  If so, why not?

Thanks!

• Like 1

The TI-99/8 really should have been released, but as with Atari's 1400XL its release was canceled due to (among other factors) the success of the Commodore 64.

I wish you the best of luck trying to get this unreleased computer emulated!

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981
  • Like 1

The problem with the (real) 99/8 is that we have numerous different versions, since all are prototypes. Some have Pascal inside, some don't. Some have the speech synthesizer inside. Also, you need the Hexbus floppy.

I tried to collect all features I could find, and assemble them to an "idealized" version of the TI-99/8 in MAME. In that sense, the emulated TI-99/8 could indeed be the best version you can find. Sorry, that sounds just like bragging, I hope you understand what I mean.

The only problem with the emulation is that it is really performance-hungry. Don't try to run it on less than a Core-i processor, in particular when you want to run the HX5102 (floppy) as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mizapf said:

The problem with the (real) 99/8 is that we have numerous different versions, since all are prototypes. Some have Pascal inside, some don't. Some have the speech synthesizer inside. Also, you need the Hexbus floppy.

I tried to collect all features I could find, and assemble them to an "idealized" version of the TI-99/8 in MAME. In that sense, the emulated TI-99/8 could indeed be the best version you can find. Sorry, that sounds just like bragging, I hope you understand what I mean.

The only problem with the emulation is that it is really performance-hungry. Don't try to run it on less than a Core-i processor, in particular when you want to run the HX5102 (floppy) as well.

Yep, if you think about it, you're having to emulate multiple TMS9995's running at the same time - the floppy disk uses its own TMS9995.  (Which is quite funny because all the other Hexbus peripherals used TMS70CXX CPUs....)

• Like 3

Yep. And the HX5102 CPU is faster clocked than the main CPU. Here is the device dump from MAME:

./mame ti99_8 -hexbus hx5102 -listdevices 
Driver ti99_8 (TI-99/8 Computer (US)):
  <root>                         TI-99/8 Computer (US)
    cart_list_ti99               Software List
    cass_out                     Speaker
    cassette                     Cassette
    dram8                        RAM
    gromlib0_0                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib0_1                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib0_2                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_0                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_1                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_2                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_3                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_4                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_5                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_6                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib1_7                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_0                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_1                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_2                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_3                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_4                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_5                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_6                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib2_7                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib3_0                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib3_1                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromlib3_2                   TMC0430 GROM
    gromport                     TI-99 Cartridge port
      single                     TI-99 Standard cartridge connector
        cartridge                TI-99 cartridge
          grom3                  TMC0430 GROM
          grom4                  TMC0430 GROM
          grom5                  TMC0430 GROM
          grom6                  TMC0430 GROM
          grom7                  TMC0430 GROM
    hexbus                       Hexbus connector
      hx5102                     TI Hexbus Floppy Drive
        crulatch0                74LS259 Addressable Latch
        crulatch1                74LS259 Addressable Latch
        d0                       Floppy drive connector abstraction
          525dd                  5.25" double density floppy drive
            floppysound          Floppy sound @ 44.10 kHz
            flopsndout           Speaker
        d1                       Floppy drive connector abstraction
        drivecpu                 Texas Instruments TMS9995 @ 12.00 MHz
        hexbus                   Hexbus connector
        i8272a                   Intel 8272A FDC @ 4.00 MHz
        ibc_1052911              Intelligent Peripheral Bus Controller
        u12_ram                  RAM
        u19_ram                  RAM
        u21_ready_ff             7474 TTL
        u24_motor_mf             74123 TTL
        u24_motor_speed_mf       74123 TTL
    ioport                       TI-99 I/O Port
    joyport                      TI-99 Joystick port
      twinjoy                    TI-99/4(A) Twin Joysticks
    mainboard8                   TI-99/8 Mainboard
      amigo                      TI-99/8 Address space mapper
      mofetta                    TI-99/8 Physical Address Space Decoder
      oso                        TI-99/8 Hexbus interface
      vaquerro                   TI-99/8 Logical Address Space Decoder
    maincpu                      Texas Instruments TMS9995-MP9537 @ 10.73 MHz
    screen                       Video Screen @ 5.36 MHz
    sound_out                    Speaker
    soundchip                    SN76496 @ 3.57 MHz
    speech                       CD2501ECD @ 640.00 kHz
    speech_out                   Speaker
    speech_region                TI Speech ROM
    sram8                        RAM
    tms9901                      TMS9901 Programmable System Interface
    vdp                          TMS9118 VDP @ 10.73 MHz

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the 99/8 featured some next gen TI PSG or VDP or speech tech with new features, I expect it would attract a great deal more interest. 

When people lust after 99/4A successors, and major feature expansions, they're usually lusting after 9938s and 9958s and OPLs and SIDs and all that, more than anything else. 

Aside from lacking a final production build (such as would allow people to be drawn to it with a well defined notion of what *it* is), the 99/8 also specifically lacks any of the improvements which would make it compelling and interesting to a large audience. 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 7:30 PM, jenorton said:

Do any of you prefer using it to other TI 99/4 or 4A emulation?  If so, what do you use it for and why do you prefer it.

I use it so I can say I've used the 99/8.

It's been ages since I've played the the MAME emulation of the 99/8; does MAME emulate memory expansion for the 99/8?

As an aside, I actually had a 99/8 for a while many years ago.  Mine had the p-system intact, but there was no card edge connector for the expansion bus on the side (just bare board), so I could only use cassette with it.  I sold it when I had to, but I hated to do that and I wish I still had it.  It was definitely faster than the 99/4A, and TI Extended BASIC II was more full featured, but it definitely suffered from not having a better video and/or sound chip.  

• Like 2

I don't know of a memory expansion for the TI-99/8. How is it connected? The 99/8 in MAME offers the stock 64K DRAM and 2K SRAM, the full GROM libary (22 GROMs), 40K console ROM, and 16K P-Code ROM. (Edit: and the 128Kx1 speech ROMs)

Although you can use the P-Box (I implemented the Armadillo interface), I recommend to use the Hexbus floppy drive, since Extended Basic II proved to crash with the TI-99/4A disk controllers.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mizapf said:

I don't know of a memory expansion for the TI-99/8. How is it connected? The 99/8 in MAME offers the stock 64K DRAM and 2K SRAM, the full GROM libary (22 GROMs), 40K console ROM, and 16K P-Code ROM. (Edit: and the 128Kx1 speech ROMs)

Although you can use the P-Box (I implemented the Armadillo interface), I recommend to use the Hexbus floppy drive, since Extended Basic II proved to crash with the TI-99/4A disk controllers.

99/8 memory expansions for the PEB exist. I have a 128K card and a 512K card. Both work using my round cable Armadillo Interface.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

As an aside, I actually had a 99/8 for a while many years ago.  Mine had the p-system intact, but there was no card edge connector for the expansion bus on the side (just bare board), so I could only use cassette with it. 

There is actually a wiring description out there to convert the edge-connector boards to the 50-pin Centronics connector. A significant number of the machines in the wild have this modification in place. I used the wiring description to create an adapter to plug into the side port edge connector to perform the modification without making changes to the original hardware. It works great. I am not the only one that has done this, as I have seen a clamp-on adapter that fit on the end of a round-cable Armadillo Interface that did the same thing in a more permanent form of attachment. I saw that one before I found the wiring data I needed, so I knew the modification between the two types of Armadillo Interface was possible.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

99/8 memory expansions for the PEB exist. I have a 128K card and a 512K card. Both work using my round cable Armadillo Interface.

If we have some specifications, I'd be happy to add them to the emulation. Since the memory access of the 99/8 is paged, it's not just like adding the good old 32K.

(I really never heard of an existing memory expansion until Mar 05, 2022.)

• Like 3

I had a little tinker around with the 99/8 emulation in MAME.  I found something quite interesting in that "protected" programs in XB don't come up with "Protection Violation" when you press break and type LIST.  They actually disappear completely as soon as break is pressed!

I like the idea of the 99/8 because of it's extended memory in XB we get something like 62K to play with which is nice.  The faster clock is nice also.  I did intend to create a game for it but at the time two reasons kept me from doing so, the main one is that I'm not used to using MAME for emulation as such and I found it a little awkward, and the other reason was that I didn't think anyone else was using the 99/8 enough to justify my creating a game on it.

• Like 2

Not wanting to discount the great work that @mizapf is doing on the 99/8 Mame emulation side... However would it be possible to look at the MiSTer as a possible "hardware" target for both 99/8 and possibly Geneve given that we have the circuit diagrams for those machines?

I am not a coder, but I am really enjoying the TI-99/4A cores that @Flandango and others are working on at the moment, and to have an FPGA implementation of both of these machines would truly be awesome from my perspective.

Just a thought... :) 

8 hours ago, Retrospect said:

I didn't think anyone else was using the 99/8 enough to justify my creating a game on it.

I dunno.  I might be compelled to fire up 99/8 MAME machine to play Super Buttplug Simulator.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

I dunno.  I might be compelled to fire up 99/8 MAME machine to play Super Buttplug Simulator.

Now that one would be a use case for the 99/8 all by itself--the first game expressly made for the machine and with the most bizarre premises. In cartridge form it might have to use something like the UberGROM loader though, as the 99/8 OS was intended to ignore ROM-only cartridges (although some machines apparently ignore this restriction).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Now that one would be a use case for the 99/8 all by itself--the first game expressly made for the machine and with the most bizarre premises. In cartridge form it might have to use something like the UberGROM loader though, as the 99/8 OS was intended to ignore ROM-only cartridges (although some machines apparently ignore this restriction).

I wonder if the 99/8's Extended BASIC at native speed is fast enough not to require compiling.

On 3/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, mizapf said:

The update history comments within the HFDC DSR source code mention 99/8 compatibility.  Is the HFDC an option or did it also crash?

*           UPDATES  3/25/83   CLOCK OPTION
*                    4/14/83   DSK1/DSK FEATURE
*                    5/14/83   99/8 COMPATABLE
*                    9/87      99/4A AND 9640 COMPATABLE

• Like 1

The problem lies in Extended Basic II, which blindly assumes you can use a PAB in CPU RAM, and which has no proper error handling at that point. The controllers do work in Editor/Assembler, for instance.

It would be interesting to see what "99/8 compatibility" means for the author of the comment.

Remember that the HFDC was the default controller for a long time in MESS before I added the other options.

• Like 2

On my physical 99/8 with an Armadillo Interface connecting the PEB to it, I used a Myarc FDC and the TI standard 16-sector double density for my disks. The Disk Manager 3 cartridge could read and write to the disks with no problem, with or without a 128K memory expansion card in the PEB. Extended BASIC II could save and load from the disks as well, although I only ever tried it with smaller programs that I typed in or example programs I found on some of my 99/8 disks. Adding the 128K card does increase the total available memory for BASIC.

Oddly enough, when I inserted an Editor Assembler cartridge in that machine, it wouldn't work, as it said there was no expansion memory (with or without access to a 128K card). There are four jumpers on the back of the 128K cards that set the base memory address though (hard wired with resistors on mine), so it is possible mine is set to the wrong address space to be recognized by the E/A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1