IGNORED

New Atari 2600 Console Prototype

Marco

The Brazilian companny Dismac developed a console with Activision logos on it. But out of fear for possible legal problems they decided to remove them from the console. The big Activision logo was replaced by the Dismac logo, and the logo on the front side of the console was removed. This prototype console was obtained from a former Dismac employee. So, it indeed is a PAL-M machine, no games are built in.

Cheers,

Marco

I knew the console styling looked familiar, there was a Dismac unit on Ebay about 5-6 months ago I think.

Curt

OK... I'll chime in... even though I was initially peeved that you took my joke. :P

I think the ubiquitous Mythicon smiley face is a nice touch!

I didn't steal it! I just appropriated the basic concept. :-)

Besides. That disc in the center was screaming for that damn smiley face.

OK... I'll chime in... even though I was initially peeved that you took my joke. :P

I think the ubiquitous Mythicon smiley face is a nice touch!

I didn't steal it! I just appropriated the basic concept. :-)

Besides. That disc in the center was screaming for that damn smiley face.

Indeed. A smiley face was the perfect feature for that area.

You do have any specs for this model? Does it differ in any significant way to an Atari 2600? Just curious as to why it was being made if it was exactly like a regular 2600.

It's in the Brazilian PAL-M format. The Brazilian government encourages home manufacturers to produce their own goods for the Brazilian market. With high import taxes they discourage foreign companies to sell their goods in Brazil. That is why you'll find all that funky "pirate" stuff in Brazil abd hardly any "original" items. This Dismac prototype is just one of the many cool consoles from Brazil. Here are some more:

Brazilconsoles.jpg

Cheers,

Marco

Where did these companies source TIA chips for these things?

Did they license them directly from Atari?

Good question and I wish I knew the answer. The legal part is really shady. It's hard to imagine that the American companies did not know about what happened in Brazil. With some of the bigger brands' date=' like Polyvox, it appears that there was [i']some[/i] kind of relation between them and Atari and/or Activision. I've found regular Atari branded pcbs inside Polyvox carts - I don't know how to explain that.

And what about the Coleco and Mattel units?

I've seen a Brazilian Coleco clone as well, don't know about Intellivison.

Cheers,

Marco

And what about the Coleco and Mattel units?

I've seen a Brazilian Coleco clone as well' date=' don't know about Intellivison.[/quote']

Yeah, there's the SpliceVision Colecovision clone... Don't know of any others offhand.

Didn't Teleplay make Intellivision in Brazil? I'm pretty sure there was at least one Intellivision clone down there.