IGNORED

Looking for Atari ST game with speech in attract mode

rvo

Hi people!

Many, many years ago I witnessed an Atari ST playing some games at a trade show. Since I was much interested in digitised speech at the time I was saving up to replace my c64 with an Amiga so I could sample my own sounds. However, there were a few games showing on that Atari that were running in attract mode and some of them had digitised speech. Now that I have an Atari STe of my own I am looking to see/hear these games again. I know its a long shot, but does anyone recall games that had digitised speech on the title screen and/or attract mode? I dont remember much of the games unfortunately, though the colour green seemed omnipresent for some reason and I think they were shooters of some kind.

• one of the latest ghostbuster on Atari STe (after the movie with the Liberty Statue) had a small digitized excerpt of the main theme on the title screen. The game in itself was quite harsh for me, I succeeded to pass the first level only once or twice.
  • "Navy moves" had a digitized music on the title screen too. Again too difficult for me, I went beyond level one once. Could not even play the part on disk 2...
  • "Trauma", a cheap shoot'em up (this one I could kill the four bosses and goes beyond for some time), had a digitized "Trauma" used in the title tune.

19 hours ago, Christos said:

It could have been Goldrunner

Man, that game just ticks all the boxes. It must be it!

I did check out all the other suggestions that were made here, but most of them were released for the Amiga and I know all games for that machine, and it never rang a bell. Trauma sounds completely different to me, too. Was surprised by Starglider, but thats not it either :)

So yes, it must have been Goldrunner and perhaps I somehow started mixing it up with other games that were on display, I believe Ikari Warriors and Space Harrier, both games with lots of "greens", but no speech.

Thanks all for your help!

On 3/8/2022 at 12:00 PM, rvo said:

Man, that game just ticks all the boxes. It must be it!

I did check out all the other suggestions that were made here, but most of them were released for the Amiga and I know all games for that machine, and it never rang a bell. Trauma sounds completely different to me, too. Was surprised by Starglider, but thats not it either :)

So yes, it must have been Goldrunner and perhaps I somehow started mixing it up with other games that were on display, I believe Ikari Warriors and Space Harrier, both games with lots of "greens", but no speech.

Thanks all for your help!

Yeah, it has an attract mode and it can't shut up about welcoming you to Goldrunner. 

Not a very enjoyable game though, but great music and smooth action.