IGNORED

Crazy Climber for Atari 8-bit (fake)

Why should the 2600 fake-screen artists have all the fun?

Crazy-Climber-8-bit.gif

Anybody else visualize an arcade favorite that never made it to the 8-bit, but should have?

This shot is carefully thought out, by the way. For example, the windows and window gaps fit exactly into a redefined Antic mode 5 character set, and only five colors are used (the limit if you take advantage of inverse characters.) The display is 25 lines tall using a custom display list that adds an additional text line, entirely viewable on most TVs and pretty common practice in those days.

The climber's hands and feet could be handled by combining the four "missiles", setting them to a single color, using one pair each for left and right, then using a DLI in the climber's body to allow the feet separate horizontal movement from the hands.

However, the CC hardware could fine-scroll the building and leave the borders static, while the 8-bit would just fine-scroll everything. I'd "un-scroll" the building "map" and border characters by re-defining them during every vertical blank! :o

Of course, I'll never get to write it now that I'm a grown-up and have to work for a living. But it's fun to think about.

-El Destructo

Of course, I'll never get to write it now that I'm a grown-up and have to work for a living.

Hasn't stopped me from following my programming dreams. I'm programming my 5200 game Cypher when I get the time. Sure progress is slow, but it's a fun hobby.

Tempest

Back in the early 80's, I was just a teenager with no formal training, and programmed myself into corners left and right. Man, that old code is ugly!

I keep wondering what it would be like to develop for the 8-bit would now, as an adult with real programming training.

It must have been great to be a pro working on games at EA, Synapse or any of the big game shops back in then. Picking up the 8-bit now could provide a little bit of wish fulfillment.

Maybe I'll find the time...thanks for the inspiration, Tempest.

Now, where's your screenshot?

• 6 years later...
I think it would be a very popular port if someone actually made it.

Woah, 6 1/2 years to compose a reply :)

I was never a big fan of CC in the arcades, the co-ordination with the two sticks always threw me off. Going up and down was fine, but side to side would never work in my head...

Woah, 6 1/2 years to compose a reply :)

I was never a big fan of CC in the arcades, the co-ordination with the two sticks always threw me off. Going up and down was fine, but side to side would never work in my head...

"Time waits for no man..." hmm I think that applies to women too...

CC is a bit repetative, but enjoyable.