IGNORED

Rest In Peace: Louis I Guion III

acadiel

This last week has been pretty rough. I got news that Louis I Guion III, father of the late John Guion (inventor of the PGRAM) passed away on Feb 27th from a complex stroke event.

Obituary (if you are inclined - please sign the guestbook):

https://obits.dallasnews.com/us/obituaries/dallasmorningnews/name/louis-guion-obituary?id=33536174&fbclid=IwAR0vZnrJs2kBwk6h-4f8aZHe_jIo2zwu6zjbDlxsA6ufYc-2AZQIGAGmzOw

Louis was involved with the Dallas TI Home Computer Group quite extensively. He ran the 99er Connection in the 80s and early 90s, using a highly modified version of TIBBS. The expansion system has two disk drives and three ram disks in it. Once it was shut down, it stayed in the same spot for 20 years.

I’ve kept up with Louis on and off through the years. His wife Jackie passed away last year in 2021. Louis took a (IMHO a rather bratty and annoying) 15 year old and started conversing with him back in 1991. He connected me to DTIHCG and helped me form other relationships such as with Mattie Bush and Mary Leard. I was a member of DTIHCG until it disbanded. I’m still friends with Mattie Bush and Mary to this day.

Louis’ son John Guion died in the late 80s or early 90s from a drunk driver; ending prematurely a life that was bound to go and do great things. John had offered modifications to the Disk controller and RS232 roms, and has worked to invent the PGRAM. (I have the original construction guide documentation.). John had a 99/2 in his trunk when he was hit, likely to bring to demo at a meeting of DTIHCG to show people how it worked. He was a kind and generous soul.

Louis entrusted all his TI hardware to me and shipped it to me earlier this year; so I’ve been working on putting Lithium backups on the RAM disks and vetting all the equipment. Unfortunately, he didn’t include any of the software. I also have some really interesting CC-40 peripherals, such as the Hexbus Video Peripheral, which I need to get operating and demo. I was able to distribute John’s misc ICs and parts to@Ksarul along with the prototype of the PEB Video Controller card.

I last saw Louis on my trip to Dallas in October of 2021. My friend Earl Baugh and I visited him and got to spend quality time with him one evening after visiting Computer Reset prior in the day. Below is the only picture that I have with the both of us.

Louis and John’s legacy will live on. We received permission and blessing for@Ksarul and or myself to respin the PGRAM and other projects that John worked on. John’s spare parts will be used by Jim and I in other projects and for repair. Let’s never forget this great pillar of the TI community.

abcd5640c6fd7211a40d85ee76f08c58.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 9
  • Sad 8