IGNORED

Can you identify this cable? Centronics to 15 pin?

Beeblebrox

Going round the houses with the search engines on this one. 

I think it's a Centronics to 15pin "something" but given it's not RS232 (which is 9 pin I believe), I am not sure what it is for.

Could it perhaps be for a port on the 850 to connect a printer?

Been decades since I'd used cables like this so mind is drawing a blank.

thanks in advance:grin:

image.thumb.png.da4e2a28f2af5d5dabfe2ac7306fb77e.png

Edited by Beeblebrox

@Nezgar @Peri Noid   Thanks - I'd have been going round the houses for ages on this one.:grin:

Is there a general/common name for this particular cable then? Perhaps in A8 circles it's generally refered to as an 850 to Centronics cable?

So armed with this new info i did a little more searching just to educate myself a tiny bit more :P

So this can be used for A8 hardware and peripherals, (so the 850, and also via ICD's Printer and modem interface P:R Connection (just looked latter up here as never heard of this before).

However thanks to the mention of the MIO, from what I've just read online it's not exclusively restricted to A8 hardware and can be used for other hardware connections that use the MIO (aka Modular Input/Output connector - had to look that up too;)). So for example old HP printers connecting to peripheral network cards such as Jetdirect via an MIO port. (Thanks for the heads up re MIO as never heard of that either).

Great - thanks for the prompt reply. :thumbsup:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Beeblebrox said:

(Thanks for the heads up re MIO as never heard of that either).

When I say MIO, I specifically meant the Multi I/O PBI/ECI peripheral from ICD - its parallel port used the same pinout as the 850 and PRC, for example:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/76383-icd-multi-io/?do=findComment&comment=934356

• Thanks 1

Best electronics lists the cable as Atari 850 Interface Printer cable  CB101279  $15.00

https://best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm

According to the Atari 8-bit FAQ the OEM part # is CX86

- Sold separately: CX86 Printer Cable, CA015900-02 (included with 825)
     (DA-15P to 20-pin dual Edge-on)

Pinouts of both ends of the cable are also in the FAQ. Even my own cable was home-made back in the 80's using the pinout information...