IGNORED

Atari 520 STFM gotek question

So, i am a brand new Atari owner, purchased my first about 5 days ago, and its in great working order, disc drive works, had a load of games with it but then decided the gotek route may be the best option....

easy enough to install, formatted USB to FAT32, placed the following files on the root of the USB drive

AUTOBOOT.HFE

HXCDSFE.CFG

And it sticks with a message saying 'Loading FF Manager....'...with what either looks like 2 bombs...or 4 bombs underneath

files are from the correct version of flashfloppy on the gotek

Most Gotek drives have manual selector buttons.   So try removing the AUTOBOOT.HFE file, adding a few HFE disk images of games you want to try, and selecting them manually.   See if the problem persists.

It will at least rule out the Gotek itself as the cause.

I'm fairly certain that the autoboot.hfe file is required to be in the root of the USB drive you're using with the Gotek. If memory serves, this is the menu app, or starts the menu app that loads when you boot the ST so that you can select the which disk images to put in which slots. It's pretty much useless without that file. All the buttons do is change which slot you're trying to boot from, but you still need the menu app to put the images into slots in the first place. Anyone else here remember for certain? Am I misremembering?

On the HxC, if you don't put an AUTOBOOT.HFE on the SD card the system just allows you to use the buttons to step through the disk images and select one.

If you have an AUTOBOOT.HFE file it goes into "direct access" mode and boots to the menu where you pick the images with the ST's keyboard

Does the Gotek not use the same approach?

43 minutes ago, oracle_jedi said:

On the HxC, if you don't put an AUTOBOOT.HFE on the SD card the system just allows you to use the buttons to step through the disk images and select one.

If you have an AUTOBOOT.HFE file it goes into "direct access" mode and boots to the menu where you pick the images with the ST's keyboard

Does the Gotek not use the same approach?

You may be correct, and that way may work if you only have a small handful of images on your flash drive, but if you're like me, and you have thousands of images, and they're really organized, there's no way that option would ever work. I may be wrong, but I would think that most users are using the menu. You're right though, that it may help him narrow down the issue. It's definitely worth a shot.